Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personal question
I am 1/2 Hawaiian.Lived in Connecticut for 9 yrs and currently living in Miami Florida. When i was living in Connecticut i was the minority!Some places that i went to stores, banks the staff would follow me around. The guard standing in the bank would walk me up to the counter lol! Now i am here in Miami Florida for about 4 yrs and the majority of race here is Spanish. Has it been hard yes i was born and raised in Hawaii we didn't speak Spanish. but we adjusted we didn't kiss any body's butt. We just adjusted. its part of life where ever you go it will never be the same as the same place you where born and raised. As a Hawaiian growing up in Hawaii you are thought to dis like white people my father (god rest his sole)was thought that by his father and so on and so on.But its up to that individual to break that chain of thought Myself and my wife has broken that way of thinking with our kids. We take every human don't matter race or skin color the same!As far as Hawaii being stolen well it defiantly could have happened that way but i was not there and all my an sisters whom was there at the time cant tell me that that is what really happened.And because i am Hawaiian i am supposed to dis like and hate the white race? I have never hated in my life to me the word hate is just to strong of a word to say. WHO was in Hawaii first? god! who's land is this? god's!! What ever race you are when you die take it up with the rightful owner of all land in this world GOD! Merry Christmas to you all and peace on earth and good will towards men and women.... p.s. (sorry for the non proper crammer and spelling etc but cant find my glasses[8D])
Sorry hun it has nothing to do with attitude and everything to do with the color of your skin. Yes I do think it's getting better, but very very slowly.

Through out the 80's I was the only caucasian in a several different employment situations. Only reason I could be out there is I have more balls than brains, zero racial inclinations, wanted to support myself well and I love everybody.

2 different unions had to get involved including numerous attorneys and even once the feds called me and asked me to press charges. Which of course I did not do. At one major resort on Kona side my presence started an all out war. The good locals had had it with the racial bad locals and decided they didn't want to see me run out. The union came down so hard on the racists I doubt anyone has been run out since in that resort. Basically that happened often, the good ones backed me up and contacted the union, management and other authorities.

I could go on and on but I think you get the gist. Racism is still entrenched in the local culture yet at a snails pace it is being healed and replaced with tolerance and seeing past skin color. If anyone can spot racism, I can.
Aloha kalikimaka, Hawaiian! Well stated. Mahalo. (Psst, sometimes it's the lighting, not the glasses![Wink] Mo'opuna always tell me, 'Tutu, use your glasses!' I tell them, 'It's the lighting, na ho'i!')

Punatic007, we each have our own life experiences. As a Hawaiian, to this day, some ka po'e haole who live in Puna still try to tell me what to do with our aina.

Statements like, "leave it alone, we like it the way it is!" Oh, please, with all the garbage dumped on our land, the chicken fights and such, no thank you. Our ohana has been here for generations, and own most of our original ahupua'a (some had to be sold to pay bloody land taxes that rise due to value around us).

One ka po'e haole (very well known in Puna) actually had the nerve/gumption/balls to tell me, "GO HOME"! Had to chuckle and take the high road, however, I did take umbrage at the comment.

It is all about attitude. Personally, I teach my keiki and mo'opuna the way "Hawaiian" does. Especially, since most of us carry "haole" blood (not just "white", but other races not Hawaiian) in our veins, too. No matter what color you are, yes, racism exists. What are we going to do about it as individuals is the question.

No offense meant to anyone, be safe, and take care of each other. Especially during trying times.

That is being a good human being.

JMO.

opihikao - thank you so much for all that you do. We all have much to learn and are blessed by your presence.

All the best to you and yours!
Pink ~~~ Every human is PINK on the inside .
Open your mouth - Look in a mirror - and the color inside your mouth is PINK.
Skin tone has nada to do with it.
Our blood is always RED .
Every human is PINK and RED,regardless of skin tone.
It is all about respect and attitude .
HP - welcome to the chop suey of ethnic diversity we are all members of on our planet earth.

Life is a blessing.
@ophikao,
From your last post it appears you will respond differently to a polynesian decent individual who tells you what to do with the aina vs. a caucasian if both came to the island at the same time. With which one would you be more patient and understanding? All a part of the slow healing of racism. It's important for everyone to look within occasionally and make sure we don't generalize due to race. Aloha.
quote:
Originally posted by Punatic007

@ophikao,
From your last post it appears you will respond differently to a polynesian decent individual who tells you what to do with the aina vs. a caucasian if both came to the island at the same time. With which one would you be more patient and understanding? All a part of the slow healing of racism. It's important for everyone to look within occasionally and make sure we don't generalize due to race. Aloha.

To answer your question, no one from here (born and raised, or any Polynesian individual that moved here) has ever told me what to do with our aina. Ever. See, Polynesians, as a whole, in my opinion, follow the same basic rule regarding land:

If you have no standing in the ahupua'a, you have no say. Period. Done. No discussion.

Further, no true Hawaiian, born here or moved here, would ever be so callous to "tell you what to do" on your own land in a manner that is basically dictating their wishes. We (my ohana) learned how to speak to each other with respect, and suggestions seem to go much further than demands. It's not what you say, it is how you say it.

The only reason I may respond differently as you perceive, is the manner in which one speaks to me. You get what you give most of the time. Not to be misunderstood, I have lots of patience because I'm old, and have learned that valuable quality. It does wane on occasion, being human.

We (our ohana) have been taught to be "ha'aha'a" (respectful, non-confrontational, etc.). There is also the lesson from kupuna of the "other side of the coin" being "ha'ahe'o" (firm, and steadfast in opinion, respectfully).

Just sharing my mana'o, without meaning any disrespect. We all do bleed red, indeed. Mahalo, Mimosa.

ironyak, Merry Christmas! Mahalo for your diligence in getting information disseminated, and your participation. We all have good intentions, and discussion is always worthwhile.

JMO.

ETA: typo, darn lighting! [Big Grin]
"Punatic007, we each have our own life experiences. As a Hawaiian, to this day, some ka po'e haole who live in Puna still try to tell me what to do with our aina." -opihiako

This is what I was referring to, sorry miscommunication.
A'ole pilikia (no problem, no offense taken), punatic007. I may have misunderstood your question, and if so, e kala mai (please excuse).

Mele Kalikimaka to you and your ohana, punatic007!
Hey Mister OP - did your family never move and you had to change schools? Think of Hawaii like a new school with new customs. If not, I suggest a passport should be in your future. Go anywhere but europe and you will learn plentyn