Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could anyone share free access fruit locations?
I would be much appreciative in some of the following things
Approximate location
Type of fruit
When it might be ripe/producing
Identification/harvest tips, etc.

Please do not list anything on private property.
Thank you all in advance.

NrIn

*edited at suggestion... sorry, was just in a bit of a rush to get it up...*

I feel a lot more like I do now, than I did a while ago...
I feel a lot more like I do now, than I did a while ago...
Well the strawberry guava in Kapoho is a treat, so is the papaya in kapoho. The pineapples are small but satisfying down at mackenzie beach park. Passion fruit can be found all over kalapana. Mango's are common along beach road, and the Coconuts are good everywhere. The yellow pineapple gueve is great and usually very plentyful when in season. Avacado's are awesome down in Opihikao, so is citrus. Poha, blackberry, and peaches on mauna loa, ahelo berries up saddle.The common guava is good to eat slightly green, makes great jam or juice and can be found in most places. Really just show up at 10:00 a.m on Fridays down at green mountain, ask Smiley what is in season and see what she is offering at her fruit stand. Most if not all is locally grown and the lake and mountain are majestic. Have fun, I left many off so others can reply.
What general location are you looking for?
there are places, even in downtown Hilo (most of the planters are now filled with edibles), but some do have some restrictions (like the botanical garden open to UHH students..)

There are many strawberry guava stands...just don't spit those seeds back into the forest!

ALso note: most anyone with fruit trees/vines has an abundance of fruit at harvest & most share with ANY/EVERYONE (we load up our postal carrier with fruit most every week...& have dropped off bags of fruit to most everyone that will take....)

Never, ever have been able to get anyone to take a significant amount of bilimbi, so if anyone has any idea of uses for hundreds of bilimbi a multiple times a year....stop on by for bucket loads!
Government Rd Puna and more often up Hamakua way lots of wild mango, avocado, ulu, mtapple, lilikoi, javaplum, banana, guava, etc.
Up Saddled Rd lots of Ohelo on Mauna Loa side, also some poha and HI raspberries an strawberries mixed in same upland areas

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
If you are a Hawai'i resident with a state ID, you can pick one KTA size plastic bag (remember them?) of fruit for free weekdays at the Hilo Arboretum on Kilauea Ave. You need to enter through the State Ag building at Kawaili and Kilauea, and sign a pledge that the fruit is for personal consumption only.

Some of the available fruit includes avocados, mangoes, tangerines, lychee, mangosteen, grtapefruit, pomelo, durian and a bunch of things I can't remember but they do have outdated copies of inaccurate maps to lend for your walk through the 15 (?) acre parcel of land.

One great benefit of walking through an arboretum is getting to see how large some of the specimens get )like the Cinnamon tree and Podocarpus they have on site)
Oh wow, thanks for that info steve1. I had no idea you could do that. I thought I heard that you weren't allowed to pick the fruit. I'm definitely gonna check that out next time I'm in Hilo. Very exciting. Thank you.