Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
customer service vs. Amazon
I suspect Costco ran the numbers and decided "Why build a Hilo store that will cannibalize our Kona store when east side people are apparently willing to drive to Kona to shop Costco."

I understand their logic, but I'm surprised Walmart hasn't opened a Sam's Club on the Hilo side. I bet it would do very well.
quote:
Originally posted by KeaauRich

I suspect Costco ran the numbers and decided "Why build a Hilo store that will cannibalize our Kona store when east side people are apparently willing to drive to Kona to shop Costco."

I understand their logic, but I'm surprised Walmart hasn't opened a Sam's Club on the Hilo side. I bet it would do very well.

Probably because they don't want to go through the same thing they did a few years ago when they wanted to build a supercenter. After the failure of a proposed bill that was designed specifically to stop Walmart from building a supercenter, the economy turned and Walmart decided not to build as many stores as they had planned.

http://archives.starbulletin.com/2007/10...ory05.html

Consumers should be allowed to chose where they shop, Hamakua Councilman Dominic Yagong said. "I don't think government should tell you where to spend that disposable income."

Technically, government isn't telling anyone where to shop -- Puna became a "food desert" purely by market forces and people's unwillingness to shop there.
Why build a Hilo store that will cannibalize our Kona store

I wonder if any Hilo merchants have applied that same logic to Puna...
Amazon has been pretty disappointing lately--I'm still waiting on orders placed Jan 1 and 9; they were supposed to ship yesterday, but today I got a message that they couldn't find the stuff and needed yet another week. Oddly, one item ordered on the 9th shipped immediately and arrived 2 days later.

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >(>
I get great customer service at my HFC-FCU bank. I get awful service with over the phone stuff like Verizon, microsoft etc. My doctor/ dentist office is pretty terrible too. Yes Foodland employees are nice and yes the parking lot is terrible.
Vote with your wallet.