Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
customer service vs. Amazon
The question of what is acceptable customer service came up on another thread, with Amazon being suggested as an alternative to buying locally. It made me think about how local employment is being eroded by Amazon, and yet many local (as in locally owned) employers and workers don't make good customer service a priority. I think many of us want there to be locally owned business providing living wage jobs, but if you can't get decent service or decent prices it is pretty easy to switch to Amazon.

Where have you gotten really good customer service that keeps you coming back? Where has poor service sent you running to either a big box store or Amazon?

Foodland has the best customer service I had on the big island people are always helpful and smiling.

jrw
jrw
if you can't get decent service or decent prices

In many cases there's "can't get it at all", and don't forget the random "Amazon can't ship item to your country", which usually means a trip to eBay...
The parking lot at Foodland in Keaau consumes 100% of the patience that I have budgeted for any given day. I think it was designed by a masochist. Since everything in Pahoa has closed, it is much worse, and I have to borrow patience from the following day in order to go in there. Yesterday because of traffic it took an hour to get from Orchidland drive to Foodland. Sometimes it isn't the store, it's the journey getting to their front door that sends us to Amazon and the like.
the journey getting to their front door

Brought to you by the fine "customer service" at County and State...
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

The parking lot at Foodland in Keaau consumes 100% of the patience that I have budgeted for any given day. I think it was designed by a masochist...Sometimes it isn't the store, it's the journey getting to their front door that sends us to Amazon and the like.

I feel your pain! I always park way across the lot on the other side and walk it. Why anyone would want a parking spot in front of Foodland is beyond me.

As an aside, I was forced to use the Long's next to Foodland last week. Waited in line for 35 minutes to make my way to the cashier.
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
A trip to Foodland on Thursday left a bad taste in my mouth. I picked up a higher end wine from the mark-down cart, not cheap, it was $25.99. The cashier told me "somebody" switched the price tags and would not let me purchase it. I would never do that, had to even think hard bout $25.99, but left feeling like I was somehow in the wrong. Not sure I want to go back there.
My experience has been that Foodland has good customer service. And, yes, the lot, especially since Malama Market closed, has been extra bad.

Sears has the worst customer service I've seen in a long time. They may be okay when you are buying something they have in stock. We ordered a gas stove AND a new electric refrigerator form them. A keystone cop situation ensued. Usually, when a store used salespeople, the salesperson will follow up on an order and make sure the order proceeds and the customer is taken care of. Not at Sear's. Not with our order. Next time, I go somewhere else.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
quote:
Originally posted by birdmove

My experience has been that Foodland has good customer service. And, yes, the lot, especially since Malama Market closed, has been extra bad.

Sears has the worst customer service I've seen in a long time. They may be okay when you are buying something they have in stock. We ordered a gas stove AND a new electric refrigerator form them. A keystone cop situation ensued. Usually, when a store used salespeople, the salesperson will follow up on an order and make sure the order proceeds and the customer is taken care of. Not at Sear's. Not with our order. Next time, I go somewhere else.

Jon in Keaau/HPP

Sears has been awesome with the service on our fridge. Unfortunately the quality of this fridge has been lacking but the service guy has been great. Thank goodness for the extended warranty!
As far as I know, the only thing that Sears sells is weed whackers. Everything else I've tried to buy, they don't actually have them, they just have display models and "can get them in three weeks if they are in stock on Oahu". Longer if they are not. One time I went into the men's clothing section and asked if they sold work boots, and their answer was no, though they do get them in once or twice a year, but that I wouldn't want them either way, and they referred me to other businesses in the mall. I think that they are allergic to money. There is nobody ever working in the outdoor or tools section of the store. You have to rip the barcode off a display model and wait in line for 15 minutes for somebody at the cash register to tell you that the item isn't stocked in their store. Their entire operation seems to have been specifically designed to make you hate going in there and want to never go back. It's like they are trying really hard not to take your money. I can't believe that they haven't gone out of business yet.