Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Go Farm Hawaii
Go Farm Hawaii is a university affiliated program to help people become farmers in Hawaii. Only on Oahu and Kauai right now, but would be a great program in Hilo if offered. Lots of emphasis on vegetable production to help our state become more food self sufficient.

Here's their new video:
http://www.gofarmhawaii.org/blog/profess...arm-hawaii
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Quote:
Click the link at bottom for full details about the program
AgCurious Online Webinar: October 4, 2022 @ 5:30pm
The first step to learn more about the GoFarm beginning farmer training program and how to apply. Register here. (Attendance is required to apply for AgXposure)

AgXposure: October 18 - November 15, 2022
Learn from local farms and get exposure to farm work. Online class on Tuesday evenings, in-person class at different farm sites each Saturday.

AgXcel: November 29, 2022 - June 3, 2023
Learn farm production and business skills from our coaching team through online and field classes. (Online class on Tuesday evenings, in-person class at Alae farm site on alternate Thursdays (4-6pm) and every Saturday. Plant, manage, and market your own 7-week CSA vegetable production at our farm site near Hilo. 

More info available at https://gofarmhawaii.org/agcurious-faqs/
Unfortunately, the link to the video you posted in the original post doesn't work. However, one concern I have is about how financially rewarded you can be as a farmer on the island. Farming is clearly something that is necessary for all of us, but if you end up living a barely sustainable life while watching others choose STEM and make a decent living, it may not be an option people choose. What are your thoughts?
(09-22-2022, 09:10 AM)TomK Wrote: Unfortunately, the link to the video you posted in the original post doesn't work. However, one concern I have is about how financially rewarded you can be as a farmer on the island. Farming is clearly something that is necessary for all of us, but if you end up living a barely sustainable life while watching others choose STEM and make a decent living, it may not be an option people choose. What are your thoughts?

I think the US needs to pioneer more automated farming. If I could invest in a robot that would farm for me, I'd have 3 acres of crops. Imagine in a few decades we might have farming robots and forest maintenance robots and take-back-the-desert robots terraforming all our neglected land into food and habitat 24/7.