Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puna could use a few more places to eat?
Went through Pahoa and almost all the small businesses are back with their doors open. NAPA is open, there were about 4 people going in and out. The post office was crammed, people parking on post office road. When the temporary transfer station is cleared out, it will be back to abnormal. That park really leaves a lot of questions. The loan was already taken and the contractor having completed all the clearing and bulldozing to be pulled off emergency road work. Just kind of a coincidence at the last meeting, the resolution to get a $20 million loan for emergency roadwork went through. As for eateries, it takes somebody that wants to take the risk, even if it is only leasing a restaurant space.

"Mahalo nui Pele, 'ae noho ia moku 'aina" - kakahiaka oli
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
A friend of mine is going to get a food truck going.
When? Where? What kind of food truck? Inquiring minds want to know.
Don't know yet, but I know she likes doing Thai and other Asian cuisines. She's also going to start selling kimchi at Island Naturals soon.
quote:
Originally posted by Susan

What happened to Jus Pound? I love their food.

I was going to ask the same thing.
Government red tape makes it hard here to get permits for food sales is a long slow process.

That same red tape is amazingly thin in Hilo, especially if you rent from a large local landowner; it's possible to open in 30-60 days with very little hassle.
Smokin Joe's is for sale

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/for/4884901489.html
What's the catch? Why aren't food trucks popular and doing well here, like they are in most other states? The cost of prepared food here is high, I would think with the low overhead of food trucks and the tourist priced food, some should be doing well. If I was to buy this smoking joes truck and continue to sell food, what kind of foods would folks want to see and eat around these parts? Was thinking some simple things like all kind bento's, musubi's, and malasada's. Just wondering what would sell and be liked by most.
Tacos
gypsy69, it might be the Board of Health requirements? Don't know for sure. "Certified kitchen", etc., isn't really a deterrent if you do it right. Do it (if you can)! I agree with you, there should be more of these all over the place.

Restaurant business is difficult at best. This may be the same challenge, albeit on wheels. However, there are many, many successful lunch-wagons across the nation (the BEST lobster roll in 1976 in Connecticut was from a lunch wagon, dripping with butter. [:p]), not just locally (Honolulu has lots of them).

Can you imagine, down at Pohoiki for example, park your truck, fire up the grill/oven/stove (for smells to travel; marketing [8D]), put out your two tables, eight chairs, and two umbrellas, and sell, sell, sell.
Ambiance is the key. Where better than in Puna?

As to menu, and what sells, let's brainstorm about it. Lots of things can be pre-prepped, etc. Why not share with tourists "local food", too? What about Vienna Sausage, eggs and rice? Breakfast for surfers? SPAM musubi (deluxe or regular...lol).

If they are going to Volcano or lava viewing, take Condensed Milk on Craka ($5.00...[Big Grin]) in a "Go Pack" (includes hand wipes and a bottle of water). How about smoked meat, poke bowl ($5.00)? Lots of hunters and fisherman right there at Pohoiki. Just suggestions.

Great idea. Wish more young ones would be "eleu" like you.

JMO.