Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many of you Punatics are owners of portable...
quote:
quote:
Nevertheless, you and Steve make a cute couple and I look forward to your engagement announcement!

woo, take it easy there Gene, nothing personal was meant by "fanboy", it's not a derogatory name.

But let me say this about M$ vs Apple. It's bit of a misconception in today's world calling Apple over priced don't you think? iPod will almost certainly out live a ZUNES, and that is just going strickly on M$ track record. Seems the only thing M$ has done right in the past several years is their xBox. Who would blow their hard earned money on Vista?

How do you compare your ZENS to the ZUNE? I heard before that if there wasn't an iPod, Creative would have owned the portable MP3 market! Must be a pretty good little product?

Handle every situation like a dog,If you can't eat it or hump it,piss on it and walk away...

Handle every situation like a dog,If you can't eat it or hump it,piss on it and walk away...
-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
Anybody remember this commercial:

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/sea...ercial_ads

I think the ultimate irony is who is the new Big Brother? I reckon it's Steve Jobs. Don't mind me I'm just frustrated how my minidisc player got lost in the shuffle and can't figure out how to navigate itunes- doesn't matter seem to be anything I'm interested in there anyway.

Also lookind for a new computer to replace my 5 year old 450Mhz mac cube= anybody heard of ubuntu? All I know is it's not mac or windows:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/linux_3x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Others want to make friends- I just want to make money.
James Cramer
Uummmmm Beachboy! Just to clear things up here, ah Gene was joking!!!

Hello? it's been decided, Gene is my "Fanboy" and your use of that term, and our interpretation of said term, inspired a really fun time here at the homestead! LOL Oh yeah and thanks beau coup!

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
I have a second gen ipod. biggest storage they had at the time. I did research then and ipod was by far the best sound quality, something that is very important to me. Now that I have my itunes all set up I don't want to change companies. I'm going to get a newer, smaller one for travel and leave my clunky old, no battery life, black and white display one attached to my bose speaker for home use.
Aloha,

Jen
California/Hawaii
quote:
. . . anybody heard of ubuntu? All I know is it's not mac or windows:

It's a Linux distribution http://www.ubuntu.com/

aloha,
Gene

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"I've been on food stamps and welfare, did anybody help me out? No." - Craig T. Nelson
Mahalo! So long as I can watch youtube and trade stocks no problem I'd be happy with ubuntu.

Others want to make friends- I just want to make money.
James Cramer
quote:
How do you compare your ZENS to the ZUNE? I heard before that if there wasn't an iPod, Creative would have owned the portable MP3 market! Must be a pretty good little product?

Just pullin' your chain Lord of the Longboard

Now, ZEN v. Zune. The ZEN is about the size of a credit card, whereas the MS product is maybe 40% larger. The ZEN's screen is 2.5" as opposed to 3" for the Zune with more vivid colors - however the latter's greater size makes it a better choice for watching videos.

The sound quality of the ZEN is IMHO very slightly better; although the stock earbuds on both products suck canal water (much like those of the ipod )

Creative players are ASFAIK now exclusively flash memory based with expansion capabilities via an SD card slot. Since they have fewer moving parts and are very light they are probably a wiser choice for use where they're subject to a lot of jarring movement: jogging, gym workouts, etc. 1st generation Zunes all have a 30GB Toshiba hard drive which makes them heavier and more sensitive to motion. OTOH, this amount of capacity allows a person to load it up with 5 or 6 fearure length movies . . . nice for those long plane rides.

Both have FM radios. Both include media library computer software; but in this area Creative is lightyears ahead. ZEN Media Explorer is straight-forward, integrates with the Windows shell and allows songs, images, and videos to be added to the player by drag-and-drop. In order to get anything on or off the Zune you have to use the Zune software. It works decently once you get used to it but it is a PITA by comparison. Also there is no Mac support for the Zune S/W, which strikes me as counterproductive for a company trying to steal market share from Apple.

BTW, before buying the ZENs I was leaning toward the 3rd generation iPod Nano (see, I'm not complete Bill Gates lotion boy ) until I made a more in-depth comparison and then the choice was easy. A few of the things the ZEN has that Nanos lack:

DivX/XviD support
WMV Support
SD Card slot with SDHC support.
Incredible 97dB SNR Audio Quality. (5G Ipod = 83dB, 2G Nano = 82.6dB)
16.7 million colour screen
Built-In microphone for voice recording
25hr music/5hr video battery life
FM Radio

MSRP:
4GB ZEN = $149
8GB ZEN = $199
16GB ZEN = $299

4GB iPod Nano = $199
8GB iPod Nano = $249
16GB iPod Nano = ???

I really had no plans to pick up another media player, but the deals on the original Zune popping up over the last few weeks made it too good to pass up. There's no way I'd shell out $250 for one of these things (or for any other brand for that matter), but at sub $100 there's always eBay profit waiting if things don't work out! These sorts of sales won't last long, so if you're thinking of buying you'd better act fast.

Incidently here are a few of the websites I troll to avoid paying retail for anything LOL:

http://slickdeals.net/
http://www.dealking.com/deals/
http://www.fatwallet.com/c/18/

aloha,
Gene

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Edited by - G. Leis on 11/20/2007 14:07:31

"I've been on food stamps and welfare, did anybody help me out? No." - Craig T. Nelson