Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We Remember - Memorial Day 2015
Today we prepared the house for company tomorrow, as friends and ohana will join us, as we fondly and respectfully, remember those who gave their lives for our country.

The mo'opuna were asking about what are we going to barbeque, can they go swimming, can they have a "sleep over", etc. My brother and I sat them down to explain the meaning of Memorial Day. It is not about a barbeque, nor swimming and a sleep over, and not just a "day off" from work and school.

We explained the meaning of Memorial Day (Decoration Day) gently, but firmly. We will honor our soldiers who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our nation. Some are from our ohana, and perhaps are also your ohana; we thank them all.

I showed the mo'opuna my Daddy's flag (still folded immaculately), which was presented to my Mom upon his death. Tears started to flow, as we remembered what a fine man Daddy was, and how he served with conviction, with honor, and with unwaivering loyalty to the United States of America.

My Aunt brought out Uncle's Green Beret, bless his soul. During her stories of Uncle being a Green Beret, she shared the song with the kids, and allowed me to gather myself for a moment. My Daddy loved all those military songs, and taught us each and every one. We even laughed about his "spit shine" boots; never saw any man take such good care of his boots! [Smile]

Her youngest mo'opuna asked, "Aunty, (yelling at me in the kitchen) can we print out songs for tomorrow to sing after we bless the food?". So precious. Absolutely.

I trust all of you will have a safe Memorial Day, and appreciate the time taken to reflect on each one of our soldiers who have died for this country. May God bless their souls, and their families.

To those who are here, especially in Puna (there are many), who have also served our country, my ohana thanks you, and will never forget your sacrifice. May we all work towards taking better care of our Veterans. This country owes each one of them, and their families, a better tomorrow.

Be well, be safe, and mahalo for the indulgence. Leaving you all with that great old song, "The Green Beret":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5WJJVSE_BE

May we all remember our fallen soldiers on this Memorial Day. God bless them, God bless all of us, and God Bless America:

(Kate Smith - 1938)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zF7a0wB-Lg

(Ray Charles - My Daddy loved him!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CILIBlQ2D0Q

Love you, Daddy.

JMO.

ETA: We never had BBQ; Daddy would feed us "Rations (or MRE's)" in those green packets (circa 60's), just to teach us a little about being a soldier. We will never forget, and will always be thankful. Please share stories with us, if you have them, of your soldiers. Mahalo.
Well said!

Such a shame programs like the wounded warrior project have to be charity cases instead of being part and parcel of the VA.
Aloha, KapohoJoe. Agreed. Not to be confused with Veteran's Day (is what we told the kids), we must also remember those who are still here, who have also made a great sacrifice. We MUST help our Veterans who are living today; there should be no question. (I'm smoking a cigarette upstairs, catching up on reading/taking a break). Have a lovely evening.

There are a few things that come to mind in reflection, and these kind of quotes remind me of our charge:

“The brave die never, though they sleep in dust: Their courage nerves a thousand living men.” -- Minot J. Savage

“They are dead; but they live in each Patriot’s breast, And their names are engraven on honor’s bright crest.” -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

“I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.” -- Nathan Hale

Profound words.

To all branches of service. We salute you. Mahalo.

Armed Forces Medley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1VZNtlyEII

JMO.

ETA: typo; a'ale glasses
Mahalo Opihikao,for,your very nicely worded posting. This year is somehow harder than the past in being "tough" in trying to hold emotion in, as memories of the "gang" have been very real as of late. Guess I am getting old.

Community begins with Aloha
Great posts. Thank you, especially for teaching the young ones.

I remember the awesome parades, marching bands, and Taps growing up in the 50's. Not a lot of detailed stories amongst the Aunts and Uncles who served. At the time it all seemed like ancient history, but in reality it wasn't and quite recent in the memories of those of adult age. Still, I grew up knowing there wasn't a higher calling. Regrettably, many who grew up in the 60's and 70's don't share that respect.

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident
http://www.combatveterans.com/memorials/kerry_scott.htm

One of the many articles/webpages/memorials that were made for my brother.. I think about what life would have been like and I become bitter. how can I be thankful for a constant sorrow? They say war doesn't affect us. They say no one dies anymore.

12 years. 12 years have passed. And I still can't understand how he left home and never came back.

Guess I'm not the bbqing kind.
quote:
Originally posted by cfscott

http://www.combatveterans.com/memorials/kerry_scott.htm

One of the many articles/webpages/memorials that were made for my brother.. I think about what life would have been like and I become bitter. how can I be thankful for a constant sorrow? They say war doesn't affect us. They say no one dies anymore.

12 years. 12 years have passed. And I still can't understand how he left home and never came back.

Guess I'm not the bbqing kind.

So sorry for your loss. It is a pain that some will never endure, nor understand. At least, I hope you know, some of us will never forget the sacrifice.

Aloha to you and your ohana.

Very moving, cfscott. My thoughts are with you, family and of course the brother you lost. So many brave and patriotic people were remembered today, your brother among them. The same to you, Opihikao and Tink.

My father survived combat in WWII although is no longer with us. I occasionally look at the medals he was awarded and think how proud people should be of those that defend our freedom and those that sacrificed everything to do so.

Never forget them.
quote:
Originally posted by Tink

Mahalo Opihikao,for,your very nicely worded posting. This year is somehow harder than the past in being "tough" in trying to hold emotion in, as memories of the "gang" have been very real as of late. Guess I am getting old.

Aloha, Tink. Mahalo to you, and we are all getting a little older, but hopefully wiser, too. Emotions are part of being "tough", as it takes a strong man or woman to show emotions without shame. (Beeg kine hug).

Aloha, DavidM. Very true statement. Mahalo.

Mr. Tom, how proud you must be! Aloha, Sir, and safe travels.

JMO.
Mahalo, Opihikao.