Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Honolulu Landing - to pave or not to pave?
Lower puna needs a 2nd access road not just for a lava flow that may happen but for the accidents that will happen. the road does not have to be paved, just something you can drive a minivan full of kids down at 10 mph. if lava were to block the way all the way the sea a fancy boat system may not be practical But an old LST or something shuttleing supplys would be a way more pratical solution than evacuateing 10,000 people long term

What's his name down there in Royal Gardens can give you a hint of what life has been like totally cut off. Now he's a real punatic, died hard. We shared some beers at another associates in in Black Sands.
If his place gets taken this time he'll just hang out till pele's down with that area and go back. Like a few other people have. But you'll see a lot of people bailin out altogether. If it goes a little further up the road. I don't know why anyone down there doesn't think it will.

What puzzeles me is why the fire department few down there to "warn him", like he doesn't know what's in his back yard?, smell it?, taste it?, feel it?
I can't imagine,......... yea, I can, his reaction if that helicopter landed close to his place. Probably freak em out/piss em off. He's probably already been up there and checked it out himself.

I only went out to the flow once in daylight, the first time. Everytime after was always at night. Punatics can navigate lava flows and jungle at night.

A bottom access road is going to do what when it's cut off as well?

KEEP PUNA RURAL
I'm sorry - I was assuming that if Hwy 130 was covered by lava, that it'd be west of Pahoa, making everyone east of Pahoa captives. If the flow as seen today continues in the same direction, it may still approach Hwy 130 south of Pahoa, but affect a much smaller area, that could still escape by driving to the Boat Launch Site (I know, with the price of gas, that'd hurt, but not trap).
Can someone please expand about any neighborhoods (not just subdivisions) that may be in danger? I saw some short cutoff roads south of Black Sand Estates that I didn't travel on, as I was looking for Haole-safer subdivisions (nothing was listed in those unfamiliar areas).
Thanks

Geee, morganlady. Wasn't aware, prior to your post, that there was an actual list of "Haole-safer subdivisons."

What is it you're most fearful of I wonder?
Lava? Or lavalavas?

That was MLS listings. I didn't feel comfortable when shopping in the Camps. I'm of European descent, and therefore a blonde. Not able to pass for Oriental or Native American (without a wig & nose job).

What about paving he railroad right of way as a one lane bike path that could be used as an escape route by autos (one way) in case of an emergency. My understanding is that the Railroad right of way is too narrow to be a full road without condeming additonal land. (That way leaving the WaWa road as is and Puna bike friendly but rural.)

Aloha,
Rob L
Aloha,
Rob L
I measure that road at over 11 miles. That's from the 132/137 junction through HPP. Where are the 3.8 miles they're talking about?
I drove that from Kahakai toward Kapoho once. I also think paving would ruin its character. It strikes me that doing much to something so low and close to the water is a waste, as it will be inundated by sea-level rise in a decade or two.