Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaii after the TMT
Wondering if anyone has thought about what happens after the TMT debate is "settled".

If the protestors manage to permanently shut down the TMT, they will probably leverage their new-found political power to correct other "injustice" and reclaim more "occupied" lands.

If some settlement is reached with the protestors such that they graciously "allow" construction of the TMT, then these groups will expect similar "consideration" on other new projects going forward.

If the TMT is built over the objections of the protestors, it's probably not unreasonable to expect greater animosity towards anyone who isn't "native" (enough).

In any case, the island becomes more hostile towards any outside development -- whether expressed as a monetary cost (all new projects require "reparations fee") or as a human cost (permanent stinkeye, at a minimum, for all "non-natives"). This is before even considering the "soft losses" from political pandering by the likes of Ige and Roth.

I'm often surprised that the economy on this island works at all, so my instincts suggest that there isn't really much "headroom" for any additional cost.

Nor can I reconcile the apparent disconnect between "aloha" and "GTF off MY mountain!"

quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa
In any case, the island becomes more hostile towards any outside development

There are a lot of people that don't want to see any more development, myself included. I love the whole rural environment that has been achieved, the silver lining of the collapse of the export plantation business model. I love Puna, the people that make their way here, not so much.

However, that doesn't mean I don't think dilapidated and derelict places shouldn't be re-purposed. The history of this island is littered with failed development efforts. One thing that is common ground is everybody that comes to Hawaii has a dream. Every single person. Fine, except a lot of those dreams suck. There have been many corporate attempts at development here, the once Sheraton in Hilo is just one forgotten example. This place is barraged with one scheme or another, Aina Koa Pono which would have had us paying $200 per barrel of oil electric rates when oil is set to go below $50 per barrel. The failed macademia nut shell graphite plant up north, although graphene could turn that around. The Pepeekeo biomass electric plant seems to be having major problems.

Opposition to everything does keep out big development. The way it's turning out is just fine with me. Kona side gets more resorts and entertainment venues, Hilo side kind of maintains a decaying status quo. Too hot and vog in Kona keeps the development controlled there, lots of rain and infrastructure frustration keeps everything regulated on the Hilo side. There is re-purposing going on though.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
(all new projects require "reparations fee")

That would be fine with me as long as all funds went to OHA & DHHL. Then after a few more decades the protestors would realize that they're no better off than they were in 2015, and as the comic strip Pogo pointed out:

We have met the enemy, and he is us.

Harsh yes, but a telescope on Mauna Kea isn't keeping anyone from the homeland property they were promised, future job development, or graduating high school, even college.
http://arnoldzwicky.s3.amazonaws.com/WeHaveMet.jpg
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
There are a lot of people that don't want to see any more development, myself included.

People are still moving here. Unless the population stops growing, we will continue to need things like grocery stores and tire shops.

I love the whole rural environment that has been achieved

Yet the powers that be seem to be totally against distributed small-scale rural development, so everything is still a Drive To Hilo.

TMT is certainly exacerbating the schizophrenia...
The last time I looked, Puna was still the fastest growing district in the state. I don't think we need to worry about heavy industry or massive resorts moving in, nor do I want that. However, I do agree with kalakoa that we desperately need some retail and service development. Driving to Hilo isn't the answer. It's actually the problem.
To those that do not want any further development... you do realize that Hawaii`i Island was highly developed prior to western contact, with an estimated population nearly 50% greater than it is today...

Although there were no non-human powered devices, the landscape was greatly altered by the inhabitants to make it hospitable for such a large population.

The alterations in the landscape can be seen all over this island, so changing the landscape for human endeavors is neither new, nor western ideals... it is something that comes from supporting any populace of humans... for good, or for bad, we change landscapes...
The alterations in the landscape can be seen all over this island

Good point Carey. I've walked through areas that are miles from any current human habitation, and see groves of non-native trees, walls, platforms, foundations, etc. It's easy to imagine the flourishing village that existed there 100-300 years ago.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I wonder if washington (state) would take over our government bureaucracy. In essence lease out the government.

I already mail my property tax to Seattle twice a year so it kinda sounds like this approach has already been considered / in the process of implementation.
I already mail my property tax to Seattle

Supposedly this is "required", probably because the Seattle company was lowest bidder.

While processing property tax payments locally might "cost more", all that money would stay here in our local economy. Create some jobs in Ka'u or something.
"If the TMT is built over the objections of the protestors, it's probably not unreasonable to expect greater animosity towards anyone who isn't "native" (enough)."

the optimistic news, we are all pretty much of mixed backgrounds amongst friends and family in Hawai'i and will likely only become more so, making such animosity ridiculously irrelevant for sane people.