Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keck Helps Discover Oldest Galaxy Known
Another story of the observatories on Mauna Kea advancing human knowledge.

http://www.caltech.edu/news/farthest-gal...cted-47761
beejee - just want to say thank you for the title of your post: "Keck Helps Discover Oldest Galaxy Known"

All the observatories on MK compete but also know their specific capabilities will help with discoveries and collaborate. It wasn't that long ago we discovered the most distant object in the universe, but it required collaboration from other observatories on Mauna Kea (mainly Gemini)

And while driving down from the summit this evening, I see a sign saying "We our Mauna Kea" next to a couple of kids sitting on chairs who looked as if they really would rather be at the beach. These weren't happy faces. They looked to be about eight or nine years old. No sign of their parents although I'm sure they were nearby. Given everything going on with migrants trying to get into Europe, I'm not sure this is a good way for the protesters to behave.
Are the protesters thinning at all yet Tom?

We're all here, because we're not all there!
We're all here, because we're not all there!
One thing I wanted to add, observatories themselves don't make discoveries, they are simply tools. It's the scientists and engineers working together using the tools and techniques they have that make the important discoveries. Those of us that aren't directly contributing to this particular area of scientific discovery and advancement of knowledge are indebted to the scientists and engineers that support the observatories here on Mauna Kea and elsewhere around the world. I for one am very greatful for the work you do.

Mahalo

Edited: changed "thankful" to "greatful" as it seems more appropriate.
Who else is going to detect Pele's warriors returning from the heavens?

Community begins with Aloha
It was Hubble that first spotted it, NASA that brought it to the attention of researchers. This is a comparison of the Hubble mirror with the James Webb space telescope.
http://jwst.nasa.gov/images/JWST-HST-pri...irrors.jpg

This is a full scale mock up, showing what will be launched.
http://webbtelescope.org/webb_telescope/..._large.jpg

None of this stuff happens without engineers, especially the image sensors. Also, this notion of lone astronomers looking at slide after slide for changes in the images is from the last century. Today, the acquired data is fed to supercomputers and it is the programmers that provide the filtering and analysis tools to the astronomers and astrophysicists. These researchers are astrophysicists. Astrophysics is rapidly replacing astronomy, much like astronomy replaced astrology. Here is where Victorian Doubting Thomas goes "Nuh uh", so mature, so helpful - not.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Also, this notion of lone astronomers looking at slide after slide for changes in the images is from the last century.

My neighbor was a paid technician who did exactly that. He compared images for one of the observatories on Mauna Kea until budget cuts after the economic collapse of 2008 kicked in.

BTW, how are things from your vantage point in the 22nd century? Did they ever start construction and build that roundabout in Pahoa? Or do the skies filled with flying cars make such things obsolete?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
WHEN do I get my flying car; I've had my order in for decades.

Pam in CA
Pam in CA
I often wonder if PT is a frustrated and unemployed astrologer. Expert in making stuff up, check. Failures in predictions, check. Jealousy of astronomers, check. No idea about the difference between astronomers and astrophysicists, check (there aren't any these days). Posting irrelevant distractions (HST vs JWST) to make oneself look more expert, check.

And then Pahoated scribbled:

"Today, the acquired data is fed to supercomputers and it is the programmers that provide the filtering and analysis tools to the astronomers and astrophysicists."

Which supercomputers are you talking about? It's important because if you can't say which ones they are, or which programmers are providing filtering and analysis tools, this astronomer/astrophysicist thinks you are making stuff up again. My experience is that it's astronomers who provide the computer scripts to process and provide results to researchers, but obviously you think differently, despite not having expertise in any area I can identify, other than making stuff up.

What's your experience of a retrograde Mercury in conjunction with Saturn? Just curious.
"Are the protesters thinning at all yet Tom?"

AK - sorry for the delay in replying. I don't know for certain, as I haven't traveled to the summit in the last few months until last week.

The camp site was there when I drove up, but no one in the road or questioning drivers. On the way down a few days later, there were a couple of very young kids sat on chairs by the road (opposite the VIS) next to a "We are Mauna Kea" sign.

My comment to the passenger in my vehicle was "I'm sure those kids would rather be doing something else on Labor Day".

When the protest first started, observatory staff used to open all the windows on their vehicles and converse with the protesters. This doesn't happen anymore. 1) when they blocked everyone going to the summit that pissed everyone off, and 2) there are now too few protesters to make that necessary.

And with the latest arrests, well, I just don't know what will happen next. The TMT seems to be quite happy waiting things out.