Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
weird flat screen tv problem
I'm getting weird color shift on my Samsung flat screen TV. I looked it up online and its generally a sign that the main board is going and its time to replace. But last night I noticed that it only happens when I'm watching broadcast channels (it doesn't happen when the video is coming from the DVD player). I have strong signal strength and it happens on every channel, though I tried rescanning with no change. I did notice that if I unplug the TV the problem seems to be gone for a brief time when I plug it back in.

Any ideas, or is it time to upgrade? I inherited the TV about 4 years ago, so I don't know how old it is.
Yep, Get an LED TV. The savings in Power will more than pay for a new one in 3-4 years.

Depending on its size you could probably sell it, 40" and greater 100 bucks ... Some people like me, have no use for TV. But as long as it's at least 1080P HD, should be ok for computer monitor duty and like you say, if the HDMI ports are ok, might get some coin out of it.
If cooling it down, (unplugging for a period) solves it briefly then it has one of multiple possibilities, resistor, capacitor type failure or shorting or something similar. warming it, or just plugged in, pre-warming is creating just enough heat to draw whatever component away from full connection. might be found if you shot electrical freeze spray , spotting each and every possible type of component. Otherwise, get ay an LED TV,, and if you can do a little work Craig's list get people who either don't know how, don't know what or don't believe $100 or so bucks will solve this problem of little white spots.. . Samsung, Toshiba and a few other brand names, > newer DLP (not as deep as older models, but still around 8" deep) which takes up much less space, DLP LED TVs are awesome , from 40-65" you can get either for free or up to $75 bucks. The 'tiny white spot syndrome' Then get a new chip as low as $75 up too $150 at e-bay and Fix that killer TV for another 5 years or more. Chip is simple to replace, and ought to be U-tube videos to guide ya.. you can get great color and video setting them in low watt mode which uses less than 40 watt bulb! Less than average computer monitor, way, way less than plasma and the other flat screen junk. (in comparison to picture quality and watt usage)

And for picture quality,, NO tiny pixels! Granted, they're a little older and, I guess they stopped making them cause everybody wants the thin guys, I bought a 60" 8 years ago, got white spot 2 years ago, albeit mine is on an average of 10 hours per day, and put the chip in.. Nobody, can match the quality of these screens yet. No pixel, film quality projection. easy fix, which makes the best used TV availed. Wink

My microwave knocks out my over the air tv reception ....have you checked for interference?

Me Im not sure wether I need a new microwave,tv

or a tinfoil hat - grin
The numbers just after the letters in the middle of the serial number on the back will tell you what date it was manufactured. That is all I know about Samsung product, unfortunately.

Community begins with Aloha