Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crazy driver in HPP ignores school bus lights
"Thank you to stop, but please do not"

I am operating under the belief that if there is a pedestrian in an uncontrolled crosswalk, vehicles are required to give them the right of way

has that traffic law been changed?
quote:
Originally posted by Bullwinkle

"Thank you to stop, but please do not"

I am operating under the belief that if there is a pedestrian in an uncontrolled crosswalk, vehicles are required to give them the right of way

has that traffic law been changed?

This one is not about the law. It's about working together to prevent a tragedy. That crosswalk between Joannes and Chikas is a deathtrap!

Just yesterday I was in the middle lane headed for Puna when the car to my left and the car in front of me stopped for a cyclist to cross. As I too came to a stop I looked in my mirror and saw a car coming with speed in the right hand lane. I figured I was going to watch the cyclist bounce over a hood but the driver was able to slam on the brakes in time, enough to produce smoke.

Long story notwithstanding, there needs to be a change at that crosswalk before someone dies (if they haven't already). Due to the change in elevation there, I believe we need an overhead sign with flashing lights.

I guess our local traffic engineer is too busy trying to get the new bayfront traffic lights to work to focus on safety issues.
Several crosswalks in that area all about a 100 yards apart ....there must be a need....in driving by there yesterday ....the one I was at is actually more towards the airport

....meanwhile call me old school ....we either operate our vehicles by traffic laws or we dont which is it? ...the main issue I saw was not line of sight - it was speeding - including the school bus ....they could not stop in time

Its tough driving if everyone makes up their own rules .... (left turns across the highways, from the right come to mind )
I agree with the lawful argument and apologies to DT for straying slightly OT but I am more compelled by POGs approach in that by me stopping, I am only encouraging the pedestrian to venture out into no mans land. Maybe that's just crazy talk, but I do not want to relive yesterdays event of watching someones life flash before their eyes! Since this is a State Highway who do we complain to about that crosswalk? You can cross up by the Ford dealership or down by the Toyota dealership, that one in the middle is just a pit trap if you ask me.
Actually the busses now have 4 video cameras on board. One is specifically aimed at oncoming traffic.
BW,

Do you lockstep the pedestrian crossing traffic law ( right there @ Fabric ) on a busy day ? at rush hour ?, just after dark ?

Are you one of those that go 55, no matter what as well ?

Common sense and self-preservation are best applied over "law" on any given day @ this section of Highway and in all 'manners' and sense by both those operating a motorized vehicle as well as pedestrians and cyclists.
why the attack - all I did was stop for a poor schmuck needing to cross the road ...looked like he was heading to the airport ....and noted a school bus and two more cars blew by ....until some one stopped in the left lane

as the law requires us to do - I posted here to see if there was a change in the law giving vehicles the right of way in a crosswalk

until the law changes, thats how I will operate - pedestrians in a crosswalk have the right of way, sorry.....
It's a good idea to hit your emergency blinkers, too, when you stop for them.
quote:
Originally posted by DTisme

It's a good idea to hit your emergency blinkers, too, when you stop for them.

There's using the old noggin'
I'm sorry as well.