Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forums or Blogs?
I have noticed lately that many people here on Punaweb are using the words blog and forum interchangeably, but they are not really the same thing.

A forum is an open discussion board on which people can start threads of discussion and others can post comments on those threads. Some forum moderators keep a firm hand on the tiller and closely monitor the postings, others let anything go and disclaim all responsibility for the contents. Rob, in my humble opinion, is in the middle of those two extremes.

A blog on the other hand is a web log, a public posting of personal opinions, frequently with links to articles and other blogs. People can post comments on the content, but the tone is set by the blogger whose blog it is. Some blogs are very volatile, and discourse can get pretty vicious. Personal attacks are common, but most people who are involved in blogging know what the rules are and understand the culture they are participating in.

Here at Punaweb there seem to be people who are confusing the two. When I posted a request for more civil discourse on Punaweb, several people made comments about how Punaweb is pretty civil for a blog. But Punaweb is a forum not a blog, I personally would never post on a blog because I don't care to put myself in a position to be attacked or insulted. So maybe those here on Punaweb who also participate in the blogging community could remember that forums are a little different kind of place than a blog, and that the kind of response which is normal for a blog might be pretty over the top on a (usually) friendly forum like Punaweb.

This is not directed at any specific individuals, I'm just sharing a thought or two in hopes we can all get along.

carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Thanks, csgray.
That makes sense. My experience is pretty limited - Punaweb.org and hunterbishop.com.

When I am doing online research, using Google or other search engine, I now often be sure to exclude 'blog' and, depending on the topic, 'forum', cause I am searching for information, not opinion. This has helped me get much better results quicker.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
I agree with you Carol, hence my comment about it being tough to wade thru all the blogging going on here. Rob has it under control.

Scott