Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4x4 or regular cars?
How many of the punatics have 4x4 drive cars or trucks. Do you use the 4x4 drive that often?
I have two 4x4's and use them regularly on my property but have had very little need for them off my own land. roads ahve been good to me. If you live on an unpaved road, however, you might prefer to have the 4x4

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
There are many wonderful places on the BI that are only accessable by 4x4 (or a long hike). If you are one of those people (like me) who are adventurous and like to get away from the crowds, then a 4x4 is very handy. You may not use the 4x4 setting all that often, but when you need it, it's there. I personally wouldn't live without a 4x4, and when I arrive in Feb., that's my first order of buisness.

We live on a dirt road but never had any need for a 4x4. I would suggest buying a truck a 4x4 or not but a truck is soo useful here like hauling rubbish to the dump or picking up plywood.

Lee

I've had a 4x4 for 5 years here and have used the 4 wheel drive once. It is not really needed except for a very few places. Not worth any extra expense here. You could always rent one if needed for a rare adventure.

Thank you once again for the great information. I have to have a truck anywhere because me and mom are yard salers and flower freaks. So you never know what we will be draging home. thanks
Naomi
For my experience I prefer a large van. It will carry most anything a pick-up will except a refridgerator and everything stays out of the rain and the casual thief. I can carry 12' long ladders inside mine (Dodge Ram 250).
The van is also nice for camping and the occasional large shopping trip to Costco.

I had a 4x4 for a few years and used the 4x rarely. Now when I really want to go off road I rent a 4x - maybe once or twice a year.

Chairman, Punaweb Committee, MSPA
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
We had a 4X4, never used it, now have a Ford Ranger, comes in real handy, but I would recommend trying to find a truck with a lockable tonneau for the bed, wish we had one for multiple shopping stops.

Aloha Naomi (also my daughter's middle nameSmile
We live in Hawaiian Acres and had to buy a 4x4 vehicle after we moved here. Ironic, because I've been opposed to large SUV's and gas guzzling vehicles for many years....but there are times when our all wheel drive Range Rover is the only way to get in and out of here.

BUT we've also been to some awesome places that are only accessible with a 4x4. And, we were invited to a party and were glad we took the 4x4 - the road was so rough, we turned around twice thinking we took a wrong turn!

Everyday's an adventure in Puna!
My .02,

Peace - Anna
I pretty much agree with jm minica. I'm not really into SUVs of any sort be it 4x4 or 4x2. However, I can't picture life without a pickup - and I can't picture a pickup without 4WD capability.

The additional cost is minimal and it's nice to know the front diff is there when and if you need it.

aloha,
Gene

"I've been on food stamps and welfare, did anybody help me out? No." - Craig T. Nelson