Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eden Roc Lots
i was wondering if anyone here lives in Eden Roc or even knows anything about it. The i acre lots seem interesting and lots of private room for one. I know about the rain, elec options etc I was wondering about what its like to live there and to travel to the beach as well as Hilo. We are use to driving long distances as we live in Alaska and everything is afar off.
Many thanks
Rusty

Hi Rusty. Several Punaweb members are current Eden Roc residents - loffelkopffl for one - and they can probably give you the skinny on life there. My wife (mella l on this forum) & I own 2 lots in the subdivision, but are still marooned on the mainland and therefore can't give you much in the way of first hand experience.

However, I'll be glad to give you a bit of a general overview.

There are about 1800 lots total (almost all of which are 1 acre) with the overwhelming majority laid out in one of 3 different dimensions: 130' x 334', 141' x 307', or 167' x 260'. The subdivision is about 3½ miles long by 3/4 mile wide, and roughly 20 miles from Hilo. Elevations range from 1700' to 1900'. The 2 main roads, Ohia & Palainui are paved while the interior cross-streets are 1 lane gravel.

Phone service ia available to over 95% of the lots; Power lines reach about 30-40% of the lots at this time with hookup fees thru HELCO's SSPP program running in the area of $2500 - $9000.

There is no county water, cable TV or DSL internet service.

A cursory check of the BI MLS listings show around 60 lots for sale at tihs time, although one of our resident real-estate 'Johns' can give you a more in depth opinion of the market.

aloha,
Gene

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"I've been on food stamps and welfare, did anybody help me out? No." - Craig T. Nelson
Hi Rusty
We moved down from Alaska's Interior 3 Years ago.We were also use to the isolation and lack of utilities in Alaska. We've seen many of the different subdivisions in Puna including Eden Roc.

I would suggest Fern Forest instead of Eden Roc if you like isolation and a jungle setting but with a larger percentage of power available...but I would suggest HPP if you want a subdivision with alot of people and more of alittle piece of paradise.

It's like comparing Livengood...with Fairbanks...

With regard to close to the beach...It takes 2 hours to get to the white sand beaches of Hapuna on the Kona side from anywhere in Puna.Hilo is a 30 minute drive average.

with respect to the beach distance ...
more importantly than the time even, a trip to the other side becomes a $50 trip in gas, plus wear and tear.
(especially as the most practical vehicle you can drive to live in the more rugged neighborhoods will be a truck).

I went to the beach more times a year when I lived on the mainland than living in East Hawai`i! (at a rate of one trip to Hawai`i a year, with a lot of beach time per trip)

Hi Rusty, we live in Eden Roc...have been here for almost 3 months. Check out our blog for photos of our house being built www.moonoverhawaii.blogspot.com if you're interested in seeing a typical lot in Eden Roc. However, have to say, we have very few strawberry guava trees, and some lots have a whole lot of them - they're invasive, attract wild boars because of the delicious fruit...we prefer fewer of them, but some folks must like them. It's been incredibly rainy for several weeks now - El Nino is socking us with water...means our catchment tank is full. We spend more time in Home Depot these days than at the beach, but hopefully that will change soon. Travel to Hilo gets hectic at rush hours, but hey...the scenery is awesome along the way. And folks are sweeter on the roads here...then again, I don't know Alaska. Loffelkopffl, where are you in Eden Roc? I could use some gardening advice!!

Good luck, Rusty. Your best bet is to come visit, spend awhile if you can.

Katie and David

Wherever you go, there you are.
quote:
......Check out our blog for photos of our house being built www.moonoverhawaii.blogspot.com ...... However, have to say, we have very few strawberry guava trees, and some lots have a whole lot of them - they're invasive, attract wild boars because of the delicious fruit...

Nice house that you have going up!

Have you thought about setting up traps to trap the Pigs? Just because there wild doesn't mean you can't make bacon (or kalua) out of them.

-----------------
Coming home soon!
Don't forget the stew either! SmileSmileSmile

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, ABR,CM,CRB,FHS,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

well we made an offer on a lot in Eden Roc. i have a good friend who lives on the same street and he gave us a good report on the lot... so i trust him enought to buy unseen. if all goes through then we will be moving over in 5 years. we will come over for a month a year during the coldest of Alaska's winters(jan. or feb.)and start clearing, digging the cesspool, storage shed etc... then when we get there for good start building a small simple home. looks like post and pier is the way to go in Hawaii and is a good way to go in Alaska as well. Seems like solar is the way to start out since elec. is a ways down the street and no one wants to pay to have in brought in yet, maybe in a few years. I guess we will see then. wild boar sound tasty as we like wild meat here in Alaska. If there is a puna party during the week of 1/27 to 2/1 i would be happy to bring some salmon, halibut and moose to the bbq. thanks again for your time to answer our questions. you have all been very helpful.
rusty and Terry Ham

Hi Rusty, salmon and halibut and moose?!?! Wow. Wonderful! Say, about the solar power thing...does your friend on the same street in Eden Roc have solar? I know folks who are doing it up here, but the past couple of weeks have been soooo rainy (my potted plants are growing mushrooms and mold on the soil...) that I wonder how well solar is working right now. We're hooked up to the grid for now - it was around $3000 to bring the power line out (about 3 poles away), and the electric company "lets" us make payments of $40 a month, so it's not too terrible. Just FYI - and if anyone else signs up for power in the vicinity, we get a reduction of the cost (or refund). Good luck on the Dream Ahead! And contact us when you get to the island so you can stop by and visit.

Oh, and Damon, thanks for the compliment... we love our little house! Drywall is going up now. I'm sooo looking forward to a glass of wine on the lanai, overlooking all the back of the lot, full of Green, Green, Green. Oops, sorry, Rusty, I bet you don't see much of that right now in Alaska!

Trapping wild boars.... several neighbors have offered to do just that. Just heard a squeal on an adjacent lot yesterday morning, so I know they're in the area again. Love kalua but raised a couple pigs in the past, and don't relish the butchering.

Katie and David

quote:
....Trapping wild boars.... several neighbors have offered to do just that. Just heard a squeal on an adjacent lot yesterday morning, so I know they're in the area again. Love kalua but raised a couple pigs in the past, and don't relish the butchering.....

No need butcher them yourself. Capture em and give em away to a neighbor who will do the dirty deed. (or sell em for a little side income)

One less boar in the neighborhood digging up gardens.

-----------------
Coming home soon!