Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shipman Beach Trail Parking Lot Closed 4/21-4/22
Shipman Beach Trail Parking Lot at the end of Beach Road in HPP will be closed Thursday 4/21 & Friday 4/22 to replace boulders.

If you're planning a hike you may still be able to park on the side of the road outside the parking area, depending on whether the rocks lining Beach Road are replaced as well. If you leave your car in the parking lot itself on those two days it will be towed.

I'm interested to see how they intend to keep the new rocks from getting dragged out of place by the off road truckers. Bigger rocks? Cement? This is the third or fourth attempt to keep vehicles off of the trail and out of the area.

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." -Annie Dillard
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Mucho Mahalo HOTPE! This is why PW is great, the consistent volunteerism of good information!
I hope they don't do the same barrier as at the other end of Beach. While I don't like vehicles on trails, the trail to the swimming hole is impassable for pedestrians and bikes, too.
Supposed to much bigger rocks. I feel sorry for the people who live on Beach Rd. if anyone decides to retaliate.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
The parking lot is open again.

The existing rocks around the perimeter of the lot have been bolstered with additional boulders two and three layers deep, and a layer of cinder soil dumped on top for good measure.

There is a new sign which states the parking lot is open daily from 8 AM - 5 PM, after 5 PM the gate will be locked. If you plan to hike to Shipman Beach, best to get back to your car before lock down, or remember to park your car on the roadway outside of the parking area if you intend to stay at the beach into the early evening hours.

Famous Last Words. Oscar Wilde: "Either this wallpaper goes, or I do."
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Just curious, but does anyone know who's responsible for locking the gate at 5pm?

Incidentally, the last time large rocks were placed to block off the trail to vehicles resulted in some rather interesting night-time activities, certainly not limited to letters to the editor.
I was there last Sunday and the lot was locked, but as I was leaving one of those HPP patrol cars came by blocking the locked gates. It made it difficult to turn around. She appeared to think she belonged there.....
who's responsible for locking the gate at 5pm?

Maintenance of the trail (weed trimming, etc) is handled by a state agency, I've seen the State of Hawaii emblem on their trucks, so I assume they would oversee the gate for the parking lot as well.

I was there the other day at 7 AM when the gate should have been locked according to the sign, but it was open.

Oscar Wilde's Last Words: "Either this wallpaper goes, or I do."