Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
w/ 2 storms on the wayRELOOK @ Tropical storm prep
I was at Walmart this morning and they had plenty of the $8.xx 5 gallon water jugs.

EightFingers- Thanks for that suggestion. My husband and I have been discussing what we can install on the exterior of the house and just leave there to fasten plywood to.
I put in threaded 1/2" lag screws on my windows and have plywood cut and ready to go on in case of a storm.
---------
I did the same a few years ago. Louvered windows don't do so well in high winds. Use quality stainless steel lags and paint the plywood to keep the rot away...
I'm a little slow sometimes on stuff, but how do you keep from snagging yourself on the lags sticking out? I would like to do same, but I'm a klutz sometimes and would do something like that.

Community begins with Aloha
My windows aren't at ground level, but I guess you could put a nut or two on them to help in that regard.
"If you made careful measurements, Home Depot will cut the pieces to the size you need. But don't wait until the week of a storm."

Two pieces of great advice.
I bought the lag screws from Fastenal in Hilo. These are the same ones that are used to attach solar panels so they should last. I never had any problems catching anything on the screws. I don't remember the exact cost but they weren't cheap!
Puna: Our roosters crow first
TinK, I had the same ?? on the sticking out lags (I am fairly sure I would win any Klutz awards given, have the scabbed & scarred knees & knuckles to prove it!) & after Iselle, I started looking into storm shuttering ideas...for the lags, you can get acorn crown nuts, but they still stick out some, I have also seen some decorative things done (like attaching drilled out shells or resin decor things like flowers or architectural looking designs over the lags & then attaching a slim nut...this still sticks out, but has less of a snag feature
A few fastener companies hurricane panel lags with a female threaded portion that is flush (warning - these are pretty pricey.... for a bolt!)
here is one: https://www.panelmate247.com
http://www.windstormproducts.com/hurricane-hardware/

SoCal
One thing that amazed us after Iselle was the wind blown sand damage, even in Keaau town, our windward side had a light hazing, but friends down on Opihikao had major sand blasting, and one of our neighbors had a small section of roofing go airborne & into our property (their house had a purloin with termite damage, so even if there is not a lot of "stuff" by your house, you still might want to protect our windows...

We are still working on the window shutter ideas (bouncing bak & forth from plywood to polycarb panels (lighter weight is getting more & more attractive as we age..)
We have already installed one large security storm door for our double front beveled glass doors & have just ordered 2 for our sliding glass doors.... so we are whittling down our shutter requirements...
We also now have a solar PV generator...still trying to justify a DC freezer...
Thanks for the info on the fasteners Carey. The inserts look like what would work for the windows on the front porch, as that is where the "snaggers" would be, and possibly on the lower bolts around the remainder, as the upper studs sticking out would be handy for "hanging" the shutter or plywood for fastening ease. Just have to remember to lightly grease the threads so they don't rust as part of maintenence so the nuts go on easy when needed. What they claim for "stainless" these days will still rust up.

Community begins with Aloha