Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fire Ant Eye in pets - cure sought
Not sure if someone has posted this yet... apologies if it's here and I don't see it.

If your dog or cat has cloudy eyes (presumably) from LFA stings, go to http://www.fireanteye.org/ and fill out the form. They are collecting stats. If your vet has given you something for the eye(s), there's a place to put what med was prescribed. You can also donate to the research fund.

A letter to the editor was in the paper today but I can't seem to find it on HTH's convoluted site. If someone can find the link, that'd be nice. It's explained very well.
http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/commenta...ews-june-7
I wonder if he has set up an LFA sanctuary?
I'm glad the topic is getting some discussion and am particularly impressed that the web site (despite it's URL) is quick to point out that they don't know if the eye problems are really caused by LFA or not. "The condition is called tropical keratopathy and is found in tropical and semi-tropical places, especially where there are Little Fire Ants."

We adopted a dog with what appeared to be an LFA eye and the vet told us there was no direct evidence the phenomenon is linked to LFA and that none of the treatments they had tried seemed to be effective. It was one of the reasons I didn't go the ER when the following happened.

Later when I got stung in the eye ( http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21745 ) by an LFA I was extremely concerned but made a full recovery. I got stung a second time, this time on the outside lid of the eye, months after the inside eye sting and no longer do any pruning etc of brush above my face where LFA are present without wearing a no-see-um gauge mosquito head net (about $3 on Amazon).

ETA: content

Yeah, maybe it's a bacteria from some other source. You certainly would expect reddening and swelling like you had, terracore. I hope they figure it out soon.

The vet at Aloha gave us some cream and it does help. myoxcin? Not sure i have the name right. Looks to be an antibiotic.

Do you get hot in that no-see-um net? Is this the one? (note you have to choose OS/NA as size or you get some 3rd party's attempt to charge like 35 bucks.) www.amazon.com/dp/B01GAZ7VQ4/

Yes, that's the net I use. It does get hot in it (notice, you have to wear it over a hat) and its not a perfect solution. It is also hard to see through it in certain light conditions and relatively impossible to use if its raining because the netting holds the water and that's impossible to see through. Because the way the bottom cinches it seems to direct the LFA onto my neck just below the netting and down into my shirt. Once they get pinched in the clothing they start stinging. Also I have to be careful taking it off. I try to shake them off the net and shirt and I don't want to accidentally spread them onto my face when I take it off. I usually do the final removal over the bathtub or sink where I can immediately flush my head, face, and eyes with water "just in case". I haven't had any stings where the net covers.
One of our 4 dogs is a Rat Terrier or something similar. He sticks his nose in every pula looking for whatever. I've seen him kill rats and mongoose with just one flick of his neck. Naturally, he fiound a lot of fire ants before we started treating a year ago and he has one cloudy eye. When he got bit, his eye watered for days. My Vet says there's nothing he can do. It breaks my heart to see so many blind animals here these days. Too bad the Ag Dept didn't act until it hit Oahu. I hope this new group is able to make headway in discovering exactly what is causing the white cloudy eye and how to treat it! More power to them and my gratitude as well!