Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's killing the reefs and diminishing our fish?
quote:
Originally posted by dakine

I am in agreement that in the big picture, overpopulation is the problem and tackling it is the only solution long term.

Me too, and I strongly recommend a major increase in the production and distribution of Soylent Green. Damn is that stuff good!

Nutritious and Deeeelicious.
quote:
Originally posted by Punatic007

The earth(crust) as we know it is a sinking ship even though the majority of humans are in denial of this fact or are uneducated and uninformed, as in illiterate with no access to scientific studies. You can speculate all day everyday how it will go down, my guess is environmental collapsing.

It's impossible to have this conversation with people who think there's still a chance. We are done, put a fork in it. Enjoy life to the fullest, live conscientiously and kindly, and be grateful for everyday of beauty and peace we have here in Puna. We may have a few more decades, we don't know.

edit to add: and do what you can to ease the suffering of those around you, now and in the future.

You mean we are all going to die? Perish the "perish thought". Give us an update in 50 years!
Maybe they should be dumping brawndo in the water..it's what plants crave... might work for fish too.

..What would King Kamehameha do..
In addition to global climate change causing coral bleaching from increased water temperatures...

Another factor involved with the die off of corals and fish populations in regards to "islands" are the 2-3 mile wide rings of nitrates and phosphates that generally surrounds each.
This is due to run off of fertilizers and human waste products
An example today of how debris catchment systems in NW Big island fail during heavy storms.

Flood Advisory posted for South Kohala/North Kona at 12;30 pm;
http://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=hfo&wwa=flood%20advisory

That area continues to get pounded;
http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu/radar/images/...150042.gif

IMO because of human induced changes to the land (grading etc.), these kind of heavy storms overwhelm the debris containment systems leading to the smothering of coral colonies in NW Big Island. In my experience this whole area has seen a severe decline in coral ecosystems over the last 30 years because of this.