Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
water for Kona
http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/news/loca...north-kona

Kona needs piped water, so let's burn a pile of cash to build that infrastructure.

So they can wash their cars/boats, and build more expensive homes, as shown in the photos.

The DWS anticipates a future water demand of 28.07 million gallons per day when accounting for existing developments and planned developments. The total anticipated water demands alone for planned developments is 13.21 million gallons of water per day.

Kona apparently has no problems with development, either. I wonder if they get different answers from the planning/permitting folks?
Easy for us to say nay as we don't live there. I've been wondering for years how we can pump all this extra Puna water from this side to the drier parts of the island. A pipeline maybe from the saddle to Waikaloa and Kona or other spots. The well sounds like it would be a cheaper and obvious alternative. I've wanted a piece of land on the dry side for awhile now. Somewhere to escape a few days when it rains like this. I know I would want a freshwater well too, so everything would look pretty and green.
Poseidon owns that water, and if you try to divert its flow I will see you in court!
Any time I have had any discussion with Kona residents over the splitting of the county (something many of the west-siders would like to see) I remind them that the water dept. is a part of the county services they are wanting to split away from....it is always interesting to see how most of them will then be for keeping the water services islandwide & splitting all of the other services....

Amazing how realizing they are for splitting away from the most vital (literally) service the county offers makes them uneasy & wanting to keep that one service island wide

note to all from the east side...this is THE most vital service we have....be very aware of any plans to split the county services & also those to divert water (although the Hilo Bay watersheds do drain an average of 1-2 BILLION gallons of fresh water into the bay daily, this could all change if our trade-wind weather patterns continue to change...)
> Kona needs piped water, so let's burn a pile of cash to build that infrastructure.

Puna style is self-infrastructure (catchment scaled to weather). Should work there as well.

aloha
aloha
Hilo side should sell Kona all the water they want, at $1 a gallon. That should get the Hilo side a few extra services we need.
The solution is obvious: An expensive reef killing desalination plant built near the Kona Airport powered by electricity made by Puna Geothermal and delivered via a new power transmission line built above ground through the albizia corridors and passing first through private subdivisions with substandard roads with contested boards, then Shipman property, and continuing through culturally debated lands. To avoid ground damage by trucks, a fleet of helicopters operating 24/7 over neighborhoods can ferry supplies to build the power lines. It's okay because they are zoned AG. Lava diversion dams using a "roundabout" lava funneling system can be installed where necessary to protect the power lines. Billy Kenoi can be hired to manage the finances of the construction. Stores can be setup for the construction workers that accept EBT. And of course, all these things will need county permits and inspectors who drive slow in the left lane.

Nothing wrong with the other side getting some water. Lots falls this side, and they have higher property values, and thus higher taxes, so at least they pay a decent amount into the system. I'd say on average 2-3 times what we pay. On the other side of the coin, I bet we'd like to see some better road infrastructure.

Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
The solution is obvious...

Yes, but first: more studies.