Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highway 130 widening may take 20 years to complete
In today's Honolulu Star-Advertiser a headline story described how Governor Ige's administration is shifting 90% or more of the state's highway funds to maintenance of existing roads and delaying capacity expansion projects. A DOT spokesman said it might now take 20 years to complete the expansion of Hwy 130 between Pahoa and Keaau. A lot of legislators, including our own Ruderman and Sanbuenaventura, are loudly protesting this, saying that it is "payback" for the legislature's refusal to increase the already high gasoline and vehicle road taxes. I have to say that I was proud of our legislators' sharp responses. Here are a few snippets that I hope don't violate Punaweb's copyright rules:

"The Federal Highways Administration has strongly criticized the state for allowing a large pool of unspent federal dollars to build up. The Ige administration says it has made great progress since then in spending those funds on highway projects. The state reduced the pool of unspent federal funds from a high of $940 million six years ago to less than $540 million at the end of May, Sniffen said."

“I don’t understand how they could go from too much money on their hands to needing a gas tax increase, with nothing in between,” Ruderman said.

Rep. Joy San Buenaventura, who also represents Puna residents, was more blunt. “I think that this is blackmail,” she said. “This is extortion, I don’t see it any other way, because it’s been on the budget, they’ve never talked about this huge disparity before until now, and I think this is payback.”

Here is a link to the article, but be warned that it is paid content:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/hawaii-new...lls-plans/

My own take on this is that Sanbuenaventura is spot on with her statement. They now have "only" $540,000,000 in unspent funds, yet they can't finish 130. Yeah, right. This governor is a piece of work.
Yeah, no capacity expansion in the fastest growing district of the fastest growing county in Hawaii...

What I don't get, though, is if the government is so corrupt, why haven't they spent the other $540 million yet on juicy contracts for their political donors? Is there some other reason why the state would want to raise taxes on residents before bringing in free federal money?
The Feds may pay closer attention to where the Federal dollars go than the Hawaiian taxpayers and state money.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Is there some other reason why the state would want to raise taxes on residents before bringing in free federal money?
--------

It is the Democratic Party way...
The federal highway funds for Hawaii are a puzzler. This article in Hawaiinewsnow provides more details.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/28948...ct-backlog

I was under the impression the state computer upgrade was for the whole state government but it turns out it was specifically for DOT. That is the computer upgrade program that spent $14 million and was a total failure. UHH has a very good Computer Science school, many graduates have gone on to work at Google, create successful startups. Just kind of a mind boggler that the state keeps bringing in mainland malihini for these mega projects that completely fail. Ige inherited all these messes but it has been enough time that he should start detailing his ideas and plans to start working out of these quagmires.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
That is the computer upgrade program that spent $14 million and was a total failure... specifically for DOT.

Probably not too surprising. If they can't handle funds for actual highways, they're not going to do much better with Information Superhighways. Even worse, I'll bet if you ask around you can find people at the DOT who still use the term Information Superhighway. Why not? They're the same people continue to design outmoded three lane death roads like the one near Keaau Transfer Station.

“There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”
-Joseph Brodsky
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

I was under the impression the state computer upgrade was for the whole state government but it turns out it was specifically for DOT. That is the computer upgrade program that spent $14 million and was a total failure. UHH has a very good Computer Science school, many graduates have gone on to work at Google, create successful startups. Just kind of a mind boggler that the state keeps bringing in mainland malihini for these mega projects that completely fail.

http://ets.hawaii.gov/todd-nacapuy-chief...of-hawaii/

Here is the guy in charge of it. Doesn't look too "mainland" to me, but even if he was... So what... Did you go though the IT program? Did you ask anyone how the program is?

Yup, project fails? Blame it on the mainland guys! Damn mainland, While you're blaming the mainland people, Ted should send back his phone, tablet, and PC. Yeah, those mainland people never know what they are doing!

Ted, should pack up and send back anything that has an integrated circuit in it. Those people that invented it just don't know what they are doing! hahaha Including the ECU in his car. Send it back Ted! What a joke...
The Feds may pay closer attention to where the Federal dollars go

It's past time for County to approach the Feds directly on this issue. Allowing State to hold the funds hostage on Oahu isn't serving needs of any "neighbor" island.
"payback" for the legislature's refusal to increase the already high gasoline and vehicle road taxes

Isn't it within County's power to increase these taxes to raise revenue for County road projects?