Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saddle Road Construction Delays
The State DOT website says that there are single lane conditions on Saddle Road between mile markers 8.5 and 11.5 due to construction in Upper Kaumana. Has anyone traveled to Kona on that route in the last few days? I have an important medical appointment tomorrow and would like to know how much time to add to the trip. We have to be at Kaiser in Kona at 9:30 and will be leaving from HPP. Thanks in advance for any help.
I've been commuting up and down that route for the last week or so. There could be a 10 to 20 minute delay - this morning I was coming up at about 06:30 and there was no delay at all.
Fun to see those big trucks, so some rubbernecking does happen. Factor an extra 30 minutes in just to be safe.
I drove to Kona via Saddle this morning and via the Honokaa route on the way back this afternoon. Road construction both ways (not just the bridge on Honokaa route, paving past the gulches areas).

Both trips took the same amount of time, more or less. Maybe 5-10 minutes longer via Honokaa but used less gas.

Really no way to 'win' right now. One slow vehicle in front on either route can make or break the difference between which is fastest.
Thanks for all the replies. We went over the saddle and only had a 10 minute construction delay. Made the appointment with no trouble. Took a bit over two hours from HPP, and we went at our under the speed limit the whole way.