Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Haoles, Hawaiians, and the complex history of race
If you are interested in the complex discussion of race in Hawaii, make time to listen to this powerfully on point podcast.

http://offshorepodcast.com/

(It's a 10-part series. Be sure to start with episode 1)
They seem to only have 5 parts done, is that right?

It's a good retelling of how fear can drive a lot of behavior from aggression to delusion. Hopefully we can move beyond this...someday.
In 21st Century America, the only doors that are closed to people because of their race are the doors people refuse to walk through because of their race. It is called self-segregation. If your entire existence as a human being is a narrative of rejection of someone else's race and culture you are certainly a victim of racism. Unfortunately, the source of that racism may be a lot closer than you realize. As long as the victim card is wild in the game of life, people are going to play it. Some may win a few hands with it. But ultimately it is a loser's game. At some point, you have to bring more to life than old grievances and the race card. When all you have to offer or pass on to the next generation is grievances based on events in moldy history books, the ice is getting thin. Time moves on and you can't put people who lived generations ago on trial, and sentence everyone who looks like them for their crimes. They lived in a very different world than this one, and to imagine that you understand that world sufficiently to pass judgment upon it is a fantasy. But for now, that idea sells and the victim card plays, so good luck with all that. In coming decades Nature will decide the fate of humanity. The dials in the cockpit show that the future is slipping out of our control, and Nature does not care about past grievances or race. That will soon be the least of our worries.

---------------------------

You can't fix Samsara.
Awesome post imagtek! Thanks.
I agree that imagetek's post is spot on and would only add that it should be required reading for a wide range of people who see themselves as victims, including some Hawaiians. A very wise and very successful African-American friend once sent me this in an email a few years ago, and I saved it:

"As a teenager, I realized that I could either identify as a victim of past racism, or I could create my own opportunities to succeed. When I found myself in crappy public schools surrounded by teachers and peers who just didn't care, I did extra work on my own to qualify for college. When I encountered people in my life who weren't helpful, I found ways around them. Whining, while perhaps understandable, is a trap and not useful in getting out of a bad place."
I think your friend is correct Chunkster, at least with the caveat that "whining" should be distinguished from productive expressions of dissent against persistent injustice.
I agree, seekir. Racism does still exist, and dissenting against it is entirely appropriate.