Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
invasive species, prioritized
http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/news/loca...-invasives

The article includes a handy "price list" that explains (or confirms) the relative importance:

Rhino beetle: $1.3M (Oahu)
Fruit flies: $560K ("All US ag production")
Coffee Borer: $340K (Big Island)
ROD: $120K (Big Island)
Fire ants: $42K (Kauai, Maui, Oahu and Big Island)

Grants total $3.1M, so there's another $738K not called out in the article.

Fruit fly efforts are focused on "genomic analysis" so we can better determine "where it came from". News flash: horses are out, it's a little late to close the barn door...

Other fun facts:

LFA ... is so pervasive on Hawaii Island that it is no longer even a target for eradication

Rhino beetle has been known to attack all agricultural products related to palm, meaning everything from taro to sugar cane to bananas are potentially threatened

quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

LFA ... is so pervasive on Hawaii Island that it is no longer even a target for eradication

The mainland ignores the State of Hawaii. The State of Hawaii ignores the Big Island. So frustrating.
mainland ignores... Hawaii. Hawaii ignores the Big Island...

And now the bonus round. For the Daily Double, who does the County of Hawaii ignore?

"One may pretend knowledge of philosophy more successfully than that of arithmetic." -Last Aphorisms (or how about, one may pretend knowledge with an opinion more successfully than with facts)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
who does the County of Hawaii ignore?

Taxpayers, unless assessed at five figures or more.

Taxpayers..

Technically correct, however, the answer we were looking for was "Puna."
Wait, wait, our judges tell me we WILL accept "Taxpayers" as the answer, as some are in Puna, and the most accurate answer is in fact, the County of Hawaii ignores the Big Island.

Congratulations!

"One may pretend knowledge of philosophy more successfully than that of arithmetic." -Last Aphorisms (or how about, one may pretend knowledge with an opinion more successfully than with facts)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I always think that "humans" should be at the top of any invasive species list.

Oh, and who does Puna ignore???

Upper Puna!
Oh, and who does Puna ignore???

It's called "us vs them", and there is always a "them" -- huge waste of resources.
bananas are related to palms??? lol then all grass is too then... just because its a monocot DOESNT mean its related...
thats like saying a Grasshopper is related to a Human cause its got eyes and legs

they used to spend Millions of $$ /yr on Miconia... didnt help much, because IDIOTS dont think its invasive... ie some in Hawaiian Acres here grow it purposely because they like the plants looks..... thats always the BIG PROBLEM.. people that dont give a shirt come here and 'Use and Abuse' the Islands, spread/ignore the invasives and do absolutely nothing in preservation or restoration of the endemics... then they move on back to the mainland after burning out on the 'rock'... replacing abused Ohia w/ fast growing non-native trees, or growing mono fields of fruit trees and veggies is NOT helping Hawaii's unique endemic environment... it hurts it ALWAYS.... try for keep Hawaii Hawaiian! ... even if you are just passing through, try to learn more about the thousand endemic native plants we have... most here can name 8-12 of them, max...

who's ignoring Puna? you all are in reality... because its YOU that can make a difference...

try for give some aloha back to these sixty million year old islands and its unique flora and fauna...

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
this is always going to be #1... just ask the Society Islands ie Tahiti

http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/hisc/info/invasiv...s/miconia/

Ha! Def should've gone the County ignores Puna step. I must've been half asleep when I posted!