Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Downtown Pahoa need a 'beat cop'?
Hmmm. Somehow a beat cop is going to solve squatting, homelessness and drug abuse. Might want to take another run at that one.
One of the community policing officers assigned to Pahoa told me that just when he gets on top of it so to say, he gets rotated to another area on the island to do the same thing. Around and around, it's impossible to be an effective community policing officer if you are not here.

Perhaps the new police chief and mayor will come up with a better plan. And hopefully Harry Kim has a better attitude towards Puna than he has held in the past. We are like some intentionally forgotten wasteland with an active volcano, period. And too many hippies.
quote:
Originally posted by Hunt Stoddard

Hmmm. Somehow a beat cop is going to solve squatting, homelessness and drug abuse. Might want to take another run at that one.

It can be quite effective if the cop is allowed to "roust" the bad elements from time to time. I would mention Chicago, but they seem to have gone a little too far on that, lately.
quote:
Originally posted by Hunt Stoddard

Being arrested for narcotics sales, trespassing, narcotics possession, public intoxication, disturbing the peace, etc. can really put a damper on your plans to 'hang out in Pahoa'.
A beat cop doesn't need to solve homelessness or drug abuse. A beat cop just needs to prevent loitering, trespassing and, of course, can prevent squatting. If on horse, a beat could restore some of the somewhat picturesque aspect that Pahoa had just five years ago. Make sure there are hitching posts all along the main beat.

I have not wanted to walk by Luquin's for all of the sketchiness on the sidewalk there lately. And now, through indifference to and indulgence of the problem, we have lost a 100 year-old theatre. It will be 100 years before we can have another 100 year-old theatre. We don't know if Pahoa has another 100 years, but we can do a better job of preserving what we have while we have it. A cop would be nice. Go ingest whatever it is you are ingesting in the jungle. Offbeat quirkiness has been replaced by plain old trashiness.
quote:
Originally posted by Kelena

A beat cop doesn't need to solve homelessness or drug abuse. A beat cop just needs to prevent loitering, trespassing and, of course, can prevent squatting. If on horse, a beat could restore some of the somewhat picturesque aspect that Pahoa had just five years ago. Make sure there are hitching posts all along the main beat.

I have not wanted to walk by Luquin's for all of the sketchiness on the sidewalk there lately. And now, through indifference to and indulgence of the problem, we have lost a 100 year-old theatre. It will be 100 years before we can have another 100 year-old theatre. We don't know if Pahoa has another 100 years, but we can do a better job of preserving what we have while we have it. A cop would be nice. Go ingest whatever it is you are ingesting in the jungle. Offbeat quirkiness has been replaced by plain old trashiness.

I like what you are saying. Have you happened to see what goes on in a Friday/Saturday night lately? From about 6pm on? Dozens of drugged out idiots wandering around. It is time that the business owners start calling police for every incident and demanding a police report for each incident that is called in. The usual police attitude is to show up 30-45 minutes later and then not file a report.
A beat cop would interfere with our island policy of suffering fools.