Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
250.000 for Pohoiki study.
Makes me wonder what the county is here for.. they don't seem to do anything.not from what I've seen in the last half dozen years...anyway.
To leilaniguy (and anyone else who has not been there for a while) there is signage clearly stating no swimming, $25 fine, etc. Pohoiki is a dangerous place for the boats, with frequent surf, poor lighting, very little room to maneuver and strong currents. Add in keiki splashing about, swimmers, snorkelers, folks fishing, surfers, jet skis...you name it. We are there about 3-4 times a week and I am surprised that there has not been, to my knowledge, any serious injuries or deaths from the boat traffic striking anyone in the tiny harbor.

Yes, it is not allowed. Any volunteers care to go down and hand out citations to the children and their parents? Until a safe keiki swimming spot is available, we are putting everyone in danger. On the mauka side of the now-sunken road a hundred feet or so from the keiki playground part of the the park is water. Calm water. That area, would be the best and least expensive solution to dredge. Even heard the owner is open to the idea. Some will certainly still want to somersault off the dock but the younger kids could have a safe spot to splash around and learn to swim. Will it take a bloody accident to make this happen?
Plus+one for Peter I can tell you have spent time down there. Mahalo to you and I couldn't agree more or have written the issues or possible solutions any better.
they killed off the very invasive mangrove trees a few yrs back at the far east end of Pohoiki, and I though they would/were going to dredge that area, bring in sand, and make it a real beach like spot with shallow water for the Keiki. but nothing more has happened besides the killing of those trees, ...then we had the mini-hurricane damage that road and now the east end is a dead end with chucks of the road everywhere...

thats were they need to make the swimming area, no where near the boat ramp... at the other end of the park

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
I see no reason they couldn't pile up some boulders as a break wall and fill it with sand. Much like Onekahakaha Beach Park.

Sorry.... My spellcheck is mildly retarded .. Intellectually challenged.
Instead of wasting $250,000 on a study, that much money could simply do the project right at the spot that bananahead mentions. That area of the ocean is relatively flat, calm and has no coral, etc growing that would be damaged. Its just a bunch of lava rock.
quote:
Originally posted by bananahead

they killed off the very invasive mangrove trees a few yrs back at the far east end of Pohoiki, and I though they would/were going to dredge that area, bring in sand, and make it a real beach like spot with shallow water for the Keiki. but nothing more has happened besides the killing of those trees, ...then we had the mini-hurricane damage that road and now the east end is a dead end with chucks of the road everywhere...

thats were they need to make the swimming area, no where near the boat ramp... at the other end of the park

I am also dismayed that the area you describe still looks like a disaster zone after all these years!
As much as I like the idea of a safe swimming area at Pohoiki, coastal environmental regulations make such shoreline modifications very difficult to get approved. I'm no expert, but I doubt that $250,000 would even make a decent down payment on the EIS and other measures needed before the first rock could be moved. I understand why we need those regulations, mind you, but we're not talking about a pristine coral reef or anything close to it. It is what it is.
doubt that $250,000 would even make a decent down payment on the EIS

Or the wrongful death lawsuit.