Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tax Assessments . YIKES!
Watch your assessment closely Homeowner exemptions can disappear.

We just got a tax assessment and our homeowner exemption disappeared.

We changed out address because of the lava flow and didn't think to inform the County quickly enough. Last years assessment was returned to the County along with the letter saying it was returned. How you figure?

If your mail is returned you automatically loose your exemptions, have to reapply for the exemption and appeal the omission for with a fee of $50.00.
Apparently this is happening a lot because of the lava flow and the tax office cannot correct this administratively.

Perhaps our two activist Council Women can change the rules so mistakes can more easily be corrected, with out having to spend $50.00 and a lengthy appeal process.

Well thank you Post office for not forwarding my mail, and thank you County Finance for not mentioning the returned letter when I went in changed the address and paid the taxes on time.
If you fail to update the County when you move, this creates work for them by having to delist you from the exemptions and then relist you when you complain. $50 is a small price to pay to maintain your exemption. I'm sure our County Council Representatives have bigger fish to fry.
I'm sure our County Council Representatives have bigger fish to fry.

I doubt that. Their job is to look out for the people in their district, not cook fish.