Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mobile Mechanics?
Are there any mobile auto mechanics amongst the Punatics out there?
I got caught in the initial flash flood going up 9 road in Hawaiian Acres and my van got into some very deep water and stalled, and I havn't been able to get it started yet. It wont even turn over, but has power. I'm not much of an auto mechanic, so I'm kinda stumped. If anyone has any info that might be helpful,or know of a mobile mechanic, please call my cell phone @ 938-2540. I'm heading back up to our property on G rd.(where the van currently is) to see if I can figure it out. Hope you all are having a better time in this storm than me!
Aloha,
Mark
Did water get into the cabin? Often the on board computer is under the seat on the floor. If that gets wet the insurance companies often write it off as totaled.

I've had that happen.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Aloha Mark just maybe and only maybe, because I don't know what your van is (make model yr). Where you were motoring along through deep water and if your starter has a solenoid/drive mounted to it, just maybe the ignition switch wire, which may have a push on (spade type) connector securing it to the S terminal on the solenoid, just maybe it got pulled/ripped off by the force of the water. Sometimes it doesn't take much to pull these wires off depending on the age of things. It would be a small 16 guage wire right next to the large battery cable connected to the starter. If your van is a cargo type van you should be able to easily view after removing the dog house inside the cab. This would give you a no-sound / no-start condition.

Your no-start may also be a blessing indisguise. That is to say and again depending how long you were in deep water and whether the vents lines/hoses from your differential/s transmission/transfer case and even engine oil pan were damaged or missing. It is possible for water to gain entry to these assemblies in which case you wouldn't want to startup and start motoring again with out first checking via dipsticks and or inspection plugs. Should your levels be noticeably higher lubricant changes should be done right away. Should your crankcase / oilpan be overful it might be wise to remove sparkplugs and turn engine over just to be sure no water gets trapped in cylinders as serious damage could occur if engine were to be cranked over with trapped water in the cylinders and spark plugs in place.

Good luck wish I were there I'd definately come help you out

Aloha HADave

S.China / Kurtistown

Every so often, I like to stick my head out the window, look up, and smile for a satellite picture.

Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

The best things in life are free.... or have no interest or payments for one full year.

The distributor cap might be wet too. Try taking it apart and look to see if water might be inside. It takes a screw driver and just use a rag and make sure it's bone dry inside.
If the engine won't turn over you maybe hydro-locked. That is when water gets into the combustion chamber and stops the piston from completing its stroke (water won't compress). Don't force it at this point. Pull the spark plugs out and see if it cranks over. If it does then you MAY be OK. Put the plugs back in after drying them out and see if it starts. Hope you didn't bend a connecting rod if it did hydro-lock.

Royall

What goes around comes around!

Thank you for all your replies. I think I've narrowed it down to the starter. The distributor wasn't wet inside, I actually made it mostly out of the water before engine died. I talked to a couple of auto techs today and they both thought that the starter was fried by being submerged. So I finally got the starter pulled (not easy to get to anything on this van), and will take it to town tomorrow to have it checked and if that's the problem, hopefully either get it rebuilt or find another one.
I guess this is just some more trials to mark the two year anniversary of moving here.(Saturday was exactly two years since I got here).
Mahalo's for the input!
Aloha,
Mark
You might still want to get the oil and trans juice checked. Some models are none for sucking some water into the trans (vent tube, I think) when wading through deep water.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
I'll second the trans draining, we have a dead 90 Astro(Chevy) van out back with just that problem, caused by a flood!
Gordon J Tilley