Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ahus vs Flags
http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/06/11...-colleges/

University of Hawaii at Hilo and Hawaii Community College have received numerous complaints over the ahu from students, faculty, community members and veterans who say they feel disrespected by the sight of the flags hanging upside-down, the Hawaii Tribune-Herald reported (http://bit.ly/2rZFfYO) today.

The students responsible for the structures are members of a statewide group known as Ahahui Hae Hawaii, or the Hawaiian Flag Society.

Group members built them in response to student arrests on Mauna Kea two years ago and say the upside down flags are an internationally recognized symbol of a nation in distress, said group leader Kalaniakea Wilson.

UH Hilo administrators have no plans to remove the flag on an ahu, said Interim Executive Assistant to the Chancellor Gail Makuakane-Lundin.

Leaders at Hawaii Community College, located near UH Hilo, have chosen to remove the flags but not the stone altars after consulting with its Native Hawaiian council. The council determined that the flag is a form of free speech and its removal would not be offensive to Hawaiian culture.

In this case it seems to me the ahu is also just an expression of free speech too. Apparently this has been happening around the island though in other random public spaces:

He said students also constructed inverted-flag ahu at UH-Manoa and Kauai Community College. He said the group ultimately wants to bring attention to “illegal acts of war from Jan. 16, 1893, by the U.S. government.”

“That’s the student message,” Wilson said. “We need this resolved; 124 years is too long.”

But the ahu haven’t come without some controversy. Last school year, a UH-Hilo student anonymously contacted the Tribune-Herald and said he felt threatened by the UH-Hilo ahu structure’s statement — specifically the inverted flag — and questioned why it was allowed to remain on campus permanently.

HCC also has received “whistle-blower complaints” about its ahu, Chancellor Rachel Solemsaas told the Tribune-Herald recently, which have come from students, faculty, community members and “veterans who feel disrespected.”

Administrators at both campuses say they’ve engaged “extensively” with several of the students who claim responsibility and are now following guidance from their campus Native Hawaiian councils.

UH-Hilo said it has largely left the structure — flag and ahu — in place.

HCC, meanwhile, has treated the flag and ahu separately. The campus consulted with its Native Hawaiian council, which determined removing the flag — considered a “form of free speech” — would not be disrespectful of Hawaiian culture, spokesman Thatcher Moats said in an email.

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/loc...le-two-ahu
I guess students of all kinds need safe spaces these days...
It's interesting to note that while the building of monuments to 1893 continues in Hawaii, on the mainland the South is finally removing Confederate flags and statues and monuments which commemorated 1865.

Both systems worked pretty good for some, not so much for others.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
An upside down flag was originally used on ships to show that it is in distress.
An upside flag on land is a sign of protest.
And a lame non resulting show of weakness.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
Imagine if some group started putting up things on public property like a large crosses, statues of satan or flying the US flag upside down as an unpermitted display and the officials had to consult religious groups before doing anything...?

I originally made a joke on this forum that I couldn't just build a statue to Thor on Hwy 130 in the middle of the night and expect everyone to just go around it. But it seems that might not be far from reality.
This sort of generic whining is pretty useless. Now if they want to really accomplish something, they should go after the criminally ineffective OHA/DHHL and demand its reform or replacement. That would require a disciplined challenge to the established Hawaiian power structure, though, so I don't expect it to happen.
quote:
Originally posted by Chunkster

This sort of generic whining is pretty useless. Now if they want to really accomplish something, they should go after the criminally ineffective OHA/DHHL and demand its reform or replacement. That would require a disciplined challenge to the established Hawaiian power structure, though, so I don't expect it to happen.

Everything less than cleaning their own house is laughable. The TMK issue, the pleas to the U.N., the trips to Standing Rock, all just colorful distractions from the real issue - your birthright is being stolen right in front of your very eyes. Case in point, the poi mill that was recently embezzled out of OHA/DHHL by insiders. Auwe!

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/35596...ll-venture

That article seems to perfectly highlight how there are so many more pressing things they could be doing for Hawaii than trying to create drama over the TMT.

“I'm just completely shocked and disappointed. I'm disappointed in the trustees. I'm disappointed in the agency. I'm disappointed most of all in the administration,” said Nanakuli homesteader Germaine Meyers.

Hawaiian royalty descendant Abigail Kawananakoa has filed an ethics complaint against Price, whom she says used his position at OHA to block an audit of the poi investment. She believes the audit would have uncovered the alleged conflict and other misuses of OHA funds.

[...]

John Aana, who co-founded the mill, said many Kauai farmers cut back on taro production after 2012 when OHA transferred the mill’s ownership to SLK and not to the mill's employees.

"We used to process 75 (80 to 90 pound) bags of taro a week … Their production now? I would say less than ten, maybe less than five,” said Aana. “OHA is not too popular with the taro farmers. … They pretty much put us back 20 years."
yeah, they got all pissed off that the American flag was flying higher than the state flag... Dunno, who the hell can get this kind of action, but the state spent about a million dollars to get TWO flag poles so that the state flag and the american flag could be flown at equal heights. I think the money could have been spent more wisely for "other" things ... like keeping the library open for longer periods, etc...etc... Kinda sad if you ask me.