Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
everyone get gas today!
the Puna subdivisions, whose roads are considered "private"

Really? The roads are "private"? So we can sell vehicle passes to non-residents who take shortcuts through "our" roads that "we paid for"?
Toll booths.
I received this second reply today, this time from Ruggles:

Aloha Terracore,

Thank you for your email. Your sentiment is more than reasonable and is one of the exact reasons I opposed the fuel tax increase. It is plainly unfair to Puna residents. Unfortunately, I was the only council member to oppose the increase and it passed to my, and tax payer dismay. Below is the notice I sent out on May 30th, when I first learned about the proposed increase from the Mayor’s office. So, you are not alone. I’ve added you to the list.

Take care,
Jen

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, May 30, 2017 at 1:07 PM
Subject: Gas Tax Increase Call to Action
To: jen@jenruggles.com
CALL TO ACTION
Tommorrow, May 31 at 5 PM

Help to protect Puna and low-middle income families from having to pay more at the pump. Mayor Kim is proposing a 261% increase to the fuel tax over the next 2 years. Fuel taxes are an especially regressive type of tax and will disproportionately affect Puna residents. We need to explore other options for raising revenue, and need the public to have their voices heard. (I have ideas coming for that in the next newsletter.)

Details: Tomorrow evening, May 31st at 5 pm at the Hilo Council Chambers (25 Aupuni st.) the County Council will consider this increase, and you can testify from any satellite council locations as well, including the Pahoa Neighborhood facility (15-2710 Kauhale Street P#257;hoa). The proposal will double fuel taxes from 8.8 cents per gallon to 19 cents beginning July, and then increase it to 23 cents by 2019.

Why I am Opposed to Increasing the Fuel Tax:

1) Fuel tax is regressive:
If the entire population pays the same rate of taxes and there are no exemptions or tax credits, then residents of a lower socio-economic status are, by default, paying a higher percentage of their income towards that tax than individuals earning a higher income. Thus, a family of 4 living on $30k annually will be more affected by a raise than a family of 4 living on $200k annually.

2) Puna Residents will be disproportionately burdened:
We will be disproportionately burdened because we will be paying a greater percentage in fuel taxes while simultaneously receiving the least benefit from the tax:

A. Puna has the highest percentage of people living below the federal poverty level in the state of Hawaii. Thus, more people in Puna will be negatively affected by this regressive tax than people in other districts.

B. The majority of Puna residents must drive long distances for food, work, college, and doctor’s appointments, etc. On average, Puna residents are more than likely driving further on a daily basis then residents of other districts which means that they will pay a higher percentage of the County’s total fuel tax revenue than residents of other districts.

C. As of now, fuel tax revenue can only be spent on County owned roads. The majority of Puna’s roads are considered private which means that fuel tax revenue cannot be used to improve or maintain the substandard subdivision roads of Puna.

D. Because the distribution of fuel taxes is based on the miles of county road in each district and most of Puna’s roads are private, there is a correlation that while we may drive much more than Hilo residents, we have less county roads, and are therefore receiving less benefit than residents in Hilo are. Based on the distribution formula we are likely paying a higher percentage than are receiving in benefit.
we have less county roads

Case in point: it's about 20 miles to Home Depot, but only about a mile of that is County.

But hey, it's "only a couple of dollars" (at the pump) plus another couple of dollars passed through to my shopping cart...
Remember come election time that Eileen Ohara voted for this regressive tax. When I asked her why she didn't insist on some economies in county government before enacting tax increases, her reply was, "That's the mayor's job." It is simply amazing that she doesn't seem to know that the council has to pass the mayor's budget.
the council has to pass the mayor's budget

Well, yes ... "no other choice" ...
I finally got some gas last night! I think it was from a fish burger.

Regarding petrol, as a Punatic I'm all in favor of taxing the crap out of it.
Since the tax increase, I've been picking up a lot more hitchhikers. (But only the healthy ones, or no one will buy the kidneys.)
Does the county fuel tax go up 12 cents a gallon on Feb 1st - 2018 ?
Does any one know ?
Mrs.Mimosa