Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The new Naniloa hotel
I'm at the Nanailoa again and the new restaurant and bar have just opened. It's on the lowest level (below the reception level) and although I haven't ordered food there yet, the menu looks interesting. At least there are now more options for food and drinks.

Apologies for the poor quality of this, I took a paper menu back to the room and crumpled it before taking a snapshot of it, so hope you can make it out. The guests at the bar seemed quite happy with the new place.

https://goo.gl/kxjtJJ
Prices seem high even for Hawaii. I can buy a lot of strip steaks at Safeway for $38.
So how’s the atmosphere? Is the wait staff attentive/have a good attitude?
I have pretty high standards if I’m going to pay $30 for the sizzle.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

Prices seem high even for Hawaii. I can buy a lot of strip steaks at Safeway for $38.
So how’s the atmosphere? Is the wait staff attentive/have a good attitude?
I have pretty high standards if I’m going to pay $30 for the sizzle.

You are not their target demo, my kamaaina friend. They want that disposable visitor money!
A bit off topic but, reasonable priced, good grub in Hilo...

http://jackiereyshilo.com/happy-hour.html

Jackie Rey's looks better than it actually is...
8F - I didn't eat there and nor did I do so tonight, so can't speak for the quality of the food. I did speak to people who did eat there and most if not all liked the food.

The bar area is fine, a mixture of locals and visitors and a selection of draft beers, but I didn't like 1) the selection of beers does not include any dark beers and 2) they aren't served in pint glasses.

The manager/owner bought me a drink. I met him a couple of months ago and he kept his promise of buying me a beer, so good on him! I asked if he was aiming the bar/restaurant at locals or visitors and he told me that he definitely wanted a 50/50 mix and wanted to attract locals. Given it's the only place you can get decent food and a beer right on the ocean in Hilo, I hope he can make the place successful.

Yes, $38 for a new york steak is expensive, but you'll pay roughly the same price for something similar at Hilo Bay Cafe, and is very similar to Hilton and similar hotels on the mainland (depending on location, of course). The other menu items looked reasonable to me with some things I've never tried before and want to try.

They've only been open for a week so I imagine things will change in the next few months. They are not stopping you from buying and cooking your own steak dinner and are employing several locals, so I think that's not a bad thing.
The Nanailoa is now charging $20 per day for parking and has introduced valet parking ($20 per day plus tips). I don't see this as a good thing but at least some students are being employed - I gathered that the last time I was there. The Hilo Hawaiian is providing rooms for kamaaina at slightly lower rates (about $10 less for a standard room), but they include smoke detectors as part of their in-room amenities so am not sure how successful that will turn out. They also say the room comes with a toilet. You have to pay a lot of money to get a room with a microwave whereas it's standard at the Naniloa. Toilet included.

At least the Hilo Hawaiian has some decent draft beer in the bar.
When we used to come here as tourists, we always stayed at the Hilo Seaside Hotel. The rooms were small and dated, but always clean. Toilet and microwave no extra charge. Don't know if it's still offered, but we got free hot breakfast by booking online. Parking was free.
We went to the Naniloa restaurant for lunch about a week ago. Food was very good (although my burger... 1/2 pounder.... was undercooked). Prices were about the same as eating a burger at the Hilton Waikaloa (on the high side). Fish and chips was about $17.00 (mahi mahi). They do valet your vehicle when you eat at their restaurant but it's free once your parking stub is validated at the restaurant. We sat outside and the ocean is right there which was nice.
One thing Hilo lacked is a decent restaurant right on the coast, so yes, Hulu Hula's at the Nanailoa is a great addition. I highly recommend the seafood stew or the Hamakua mushroom and goat cheese flatbread.