Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for David M (and other Hamakua coasters)
Good morning (6am here snowy northern Nevada). Long time lurker and newbie poster.
We are moving to a lease/purchase off-grid property in Ninole in a couple weeks.
Can you tell me about cell phone reception there-what do you use (we will not have a land line)? (my T-mobile worked well in some spots there, not so well in others)
Satellite tv? (dish or directv? neither?)
Internet (obviously it works well for you, Dave M...)...What provider?
Hubby will be on a steep learning curve re: solar and wind (the home is already built and system in place)and has found your posts very helpful.

Thanks in advance, hrooster
Hello, hrooster. I live in Honomu. My Verizon cell phone works just fine between Hilo and Waimea. You really won't know until you test yours, as coverage may be worse or better as you move towards the water or mountains.

Our cable line with Oceanic Time Warner provides phone, internet, and cable TV on one monthly bill. We canceled our cable TV after having it for a month because the premium stations would cut out every five minutes or so. Calling the cable company about it results in a voice message instructing you to unplug the TV, wait a few minutes, plug it back in, and wait for the channels to load. The show was usually over after we did that two or three times. It's not worth it - go play outside! Wink

We are a bit further down the coast and much lower down the hill, but we are still sorta in the same general Hamakua area. The cell phone is AT & T and it works more or less everywhere although there are some spots without coverage. The internet & TV are Oceanic Time Warner. Some of our friends up the hill use satellite TV which they share with their neighbors and are looking into getting a wireless router to see if they can get internet.

Our house is off the grid and we just replaced all the house batteries with new deep cycle ones from Costco. You can also get solar stuff and energy efficient appliances from Sauces & Propane in Honokaa. It is a strange place but has good appliances. Just down the hill from the post office in Honokaa.

Well, we will probably see you sometime at the 50's Cafe.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
Hey Jane where you live? My mom and dad are in Honomu too.
Hmmm, either I hit the wrong button or will get double posted...

Hrooster.

Ninole is a GREAT place. Welcome.
We live completely off grid as do most of our neighbors. Learning curved isn't all that bad. Maybe adjusting to having some things turned completely off can be a challenge.
AT&T serves us mostly well. There are dead spots and you'll learn where they are. Also at times it seems like a strong wind just seems to carry the signal away. [Big Grin] I think the neighborhood is pretty much split between ATT and Verizon. The phone itself can be a factor. Sprint definitely sucks.
Both Dish and Direct in the neighborhood, we have Dish.
Wireless internet is pretty well established up here. Bob Holmes - http://www.hibroad.com/
Please mention my name. I also get AT&T EDGE on my iphone.
Where in the neighborhood you moving?
Please feel free to email me directly through the forum for any specific questions or help. I'll give you my phone #.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
Thanks for your responses. Looks like at least a few choices are available. Thanks for the invitation, David, and I will pm you through the forum.

Cheers, hrooster