Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who will roast coffee beans?

Hilo Coffee Mill did the first step in processing our coffee beans, but won't roast small amounts of beans. Any suggestions?
Nothing like home grown coffee!!

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
How small amount are we talking? Will this be an ongoing need? Have you considered a small home unit?

Dan
I think we have a pound or two. Maybe Amazon might have small roasters? A gent that was at the old Keaau farmers market roasted a small quantity for us a while back. Haven't been to the new location yet. We're small timers, but especially enjoy drinking our home grown coffee.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Birdmove, we use our air fryer, or a skillet. Terracore will probably post about the popcorn popper we also have.

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
One of the largest sellers of green beans recommends using an inexpensive hot air popcorn popper to roast beans. They sell expensive roasters on their web site but still recommend this cheaper method.

Here is a video on how to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTsC6JWM0qU

This is the popcorn popper they recommend:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NOLFQ1U/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&psc=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=pw016-20&linkId=febc3bb6e575392a7e9b9c428a63dfa7

You can also use a wok, an air fryer, or a convection oven.

Here's more good info:

https://www.sweetmarias.com/category/roasting-equipment

ETA: there is no part of the coffee process you need to have somebody do for you. 1) Pick the cherry. 2) Remove the skin (a gentle crushing works to loosen it). 3) Ferment off the slime (put the beans in water, nature does the rest in about 24 hours). 4) Dry the beans (put them single layer on cookie sheets, put sheets on dashboard of car). 5) Roast beans. 6) Grind beans. 7) Brew coffee.
Forgot one important step terracore..after the bean dries...the "husk" has to be discarded before roasting. It's probably the hardest part in the coffee roasting process. Most coffee growers have a machine to remove the husk...but they're very expensive (even small ones for ma and pa operations are pricey). What we do is spread the thoroughly dried coffee beans on a concrete floor and with a small hand held piece of 2x4 wood with a piece of coarse sanding paper attached to the bottom....we grind the beans around and around until the husks come off and blow the husks from the beans with a hand held hair drier.
Lots of great information here! I put that pop corn popper in my Amazon basket, and saved the Youtube video to my favorites.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
I think we've been removing the husks after its roasted.. and they come off super easy. And the coffee tastes amazing.

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
The chaff blows off during roasting with the hot air popper method.
I have a Behmore 1600 roaster and it is great. plenty of control for the desired results. When were in full production we would get about 50 pounds of dry green per year. Roasted a pound each week. Tons of work harvesting!