Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
disturbing Hilo Airport USPS issues
Hooray!
While this post isn't specific to the Hilo USPS office, I thought you might find some enjoyment reading about our recent bad experience.

The wife sent a flat rate USPS Priority Mail box to a residential address in Kentucky. It was a computer printed label so not difficult to read. Box was never received in Kentucky. While checking the tracking information, the tracking info died at an APO address (?). When we looked it up, the box was last scanned in the Marshall Islands.

I know... you're thinking, at least it was insured right? (All priority mail comes with $50 'free' insurance) Unfortunately, it was mostly hand-made items and the USPS requires receipts for proving value when making a claim. If anybody has any USPS insurance claim advice, I wouldn't mind reading it. I cashed a check from a USPS insurance claim at the Volcano post office once, and the clerk exclaimed that she couldn't believe they actually paid somebody, but that was from when they mutilated a computer in the mail and Gateway filed the claim, I didn't file it myself.

I experienced my first ever error at the airport USPS - I got mail for the box right next to mine. I figured the easiest solution would be to deliver it myself, so I reached through my box and stuck the envelope in my neighbors box. As I was in the middle of doing so, it dawned on me how this action might not look so innocent if witnessed at the wrong time!
This is not really a Hilo USPS-specific post but this seems like the most appropriate place to put it since it was a USPS item and mailed from Hilo. I'm only posting this for the amusement factor.

Last year in November we mailed a Christmas package to Kentucky via USPS Priority Mail. When the tracking information died as last scanned in the Marshall Islands (not even really part of the USA) and then had no further updates we assumed the package was just lost, so we filed a "where's my stuff" claim with the USPS web site.

About a month later, the recipient got their package and the tracking information reflected that. But then we started getting these messages from the USPS:

Dear terracore,
Thank you for using USPS.com.
The US Postal Service® received the search request you submitted and it's being processed. Your package has not yet been recovered, but every effort is being made to locate your item(s).
Search Request Details:
Request Date: 12/04/2017
Reference: Search ID #3108xxx
Tracking Number: 94058xxx
We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
Thank you for using the U.S. Postal Service®.

We got this same message EVERY MONTH, MONTH AFTER MONTH. The crazy thing is, their own tracking number eventually showed it as being delivered in Kentucky!

Today they finally gave up searching for the "lost" package:

Dear terracore,
Thank you for using USPS.com.
We regret to inform you that after thoroughly searching for your mail we were unable to locate your missing item(s).
Search Request Details:
Request Date: 12/04/2017
Reference: Search ID #3108xxx
Tracking Number: 9405xxx
We work hard to provide prompt, accurate service to our customers, and regret that we were unable to deliver your mailpiece on this occasion. To help us get your packages to their destination in the future:
• Put a return address on the outside of all mailpieces
• Include a label with your name and complete address on the inside of packages
We never like to think of anything happening to the mail during transit, but we want to be prepared for any contingency and your assistance is vital to that preparedness.
Once again, we apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced. We appreciate your business and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you in the future.
Thank you for using the U.S. Postal Service®.

Key takeaway: If they ever actually searched for the lost item, their own tracking number would have shown it was delivered! A month late, but still delivered. Instead, they sent us these fake "we're still looking for your package" emails for six months.

What was the point of that?

ETA: italics and bold
I figured the easiest solution would be to deliver it myself, so I reached through my box and stuck the envelope in my neighbors box.
------------
I used to just push the wrong letter out of the back of my box and onto the floor on the other side, assuming someone from the post office would pick it up and put it back into the correct box.