Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaii Public Schools & Teacher Salaries
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

If you think Hawaii public schools are bad now, wait until/if the Republican tax bill passes.

* Hawaii Public schools are paid for with state taxes
* State taxes are high, but are deductible from your federal taxes
* The Republican tax bill removes that deduction
* Without a federal deduction, your state taxes are effectively higher as there is no offset
* If taxpayers complain enough about paying higher taxes, and state taxes are reduced, the money available for public schools will be reduced

Under both the GOP Senate’s nearly 500-page bill (pdf) and the House version, the amount that US households pay in state income taxes and local taxes is no longer deductible on federal income tax forms.

Making state and local taxes no longer deductible from federal income taxes essentially subjects US households to “double taxation.”

The change is going to hit public school budgets hard, the GFOA says. Towns and states will be pressured by local citizens to reduce their taxes, which they can no longer deduct from their federal income taxes, the group predicts, and this is likely to slash school budgets.

https://qz.com/1145239/gop-tax-bill-2017...c-schools/

Good luck kids, hopefully If you can graduate after the Hawaii DOE offers your teachers discount salaries. And 20% off! pensions.

Then if your grades are good enough in a substandard system, maybe you can attend a community college. If there's any money left over to keep them open.

BTW, you left out an important part from your original premise of this thread.

Federal tax rates dropped so those people that were getting deductions from state and local taxes, get to keep more of their own money to begin with. It is probably a wash for Hawaii residents, although as some noted in this thread, the doubling of the standard deduction may make up for even more of that.
They will only give an incoming mainland teacher credit for up to 6 years of experience

Electricians and other trades get 0 credit.

Federal tax rates dropped

Temporarily. Revisit this equation in 5 or 10 years.
You twisted it again.

To anyone reading the last 8 posts one thing will become clear:

Specific questions were posed to leilanidude.
No answer was provided for any of the questions posed, or if an answer was purported, it was at best vaguely tangential to the question, perhaps including a similar word, like "teacher."

But, apparently, I'm the one dancing the limbo? That's funny. Well, I guess you learn something new every day. Thanks teach. Your $100,000 check is in the mail.

I said, ‘Wrong, Justin (Trudeau), you do.’ I didn’t even know. ... I had no idea. I just said, ‘You’re wrong.’ - President Donald J. Trump, 3/14/18
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I answered many of the questions - if you want even more specifics, feel free to look at the lists yourself. It is apparent that you haven't even looked. You simply don't want to acknowledge you were wrong. To find individual locations of those teachers, you have to select each individual record. You aren't worth that much wasting of time.
But go ahead and keep being an a$$. It seems to be what you are good at.
An epic debate. Sort of reminds me of my go around with HOTPE on whether organic farms are generally more hospitable to rats. (I said yes.)

Leilanidude, chalk it up as a draw.
But go ahead and keep being an a$$.
I answered many of the questions

You have left most of the questions unanswered, questions only asked in response to your own claims. If you state something as true, you should know the statistics in advance in order to make the claims, right?:

A single example:
leilanidude said:
The majority of the teachers in Pahoa are making over $75k.
(Unanswered: How many, either numerically or by percentage?)
A surprising number are right at $100k. (Unanswered: How many, either numerically or by percentage?)

Your response did not answer your claim. You specifically cited Pahoa, but replied with a statistic for all of Hawaii, not Pahoa:
12 month elementary teachers, 56 records, range is $72,304 to 104,186.
12 month complex area teacher 16 records, range is $72,304 to 104,186

You don't need to answer all of the other questions ignored throughout this thread, but I would like to know just this one:
How many teachers in Pahoa, either numerically or by percentage make over $100,000 per year? This should require no effort on your part, as you must know the number off the top of your head. Why? Because you said it surprised you. If you choose to reply, please provide a link with your answer.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Informative graph comparing teacher salaries in all 50 states. Hawaii does not pay well considering the cost of living here, roughly $60,000.
Minnesota, where a teacher can buy a home for half of what it costs here (or less) pays their teachers more than we do.
https://fingfx.thomsonreuters.com/gfx/ed...index.html

Idiots rule the world, but only when there is a fair vote. - Last Aphorisms
It is hard to compare those numbers. AK pays well $74k, but a house is about $67K, vs HI $60k and house at $157k. Seems like HI would still be underpaying at CA's top rate of $80k and house at $120k. (housing numbers are 30 year mortgage salary requirements, not raw house prices)

https://howmuch.net/articles/salary-to-a...your-state