Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill 160... adding "truthful" to the ethics code?
Hi Ashley,

fact is a number of people, including myself, have experienced the building department and the planning department casually lying about basic code and requirements.... for no obvious reason. When this happens it can cause a lot of confusion, delays and cost.

I would suggest that if such an event should result in correcting something on a house project you can bet good money the county would not accept responsibility. Which is why I have taken to generally suggesting you, or anyone, make your communications with the county on issues of importance in writing. Do not depend on verbal answers.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Thank you ,Rob.Good advice.
Any law suits for costly repairs?

Or the Island lawyers are in the same
cosa nostra with county?
"County officers and employees are PAID to be knowledgeable. IT IS THEIR JOB. If it is not within their ability then this needs to be found out and they should be removed from county employment."

Unless there is a administrative rule, or statute that provides for and requires proper training (and the satisfactory completion thereof), their ability to be knowledgeable becomes moot. The County is playing their version of CYA, as always.

County employees are there to implement and enforce the County Code as written.

The Code clearly states what is and is not permissible, along with what restrictions and prerequisites apply. It doesn't matter what a County employee "knows or believes". If they can't faithfully execute their function to implement and enforce the Code as written, they should find another job.
I just paid my state 1/4ly taxes.
While in the folder I looked at my Excise Tax return, which I must sign after the DECLARATION (all in caps on the form), in part:

"I declare, under penalties set forth in section 231-36, HRS, that this return... has been examined by me and, to the best of my knowledge and belief, is a true, correct, and complete return, made in good faith..."

Rob makes a good point, why are taxpayers, citizens, residents required to sign statement like that on their tax returns, yet County employees would find something similar too complicated? Maybe Bill 160 should contain the exact words and statement taxpayers are expected to accept and approve on their returns, then watch the County try and explain why it won't work for them.

“It's tremendously big and tremendously wet, tremendous amounts of water.” President Donald J. Trump describing an active hurricane on Tue, Sept 11, 2018
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I, county employee number #123456, hereby solemnly swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me god.

Works for me.
I guess being truthful is too complicated for Hawaii County.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2018/0...postponed/
So, the cant do truthful, now they cant do accurate. I doubt very seriously they will do
I swear. Probably the same as now. What ever i feel like? Lol Maybe the will do a gut and replace with a council raise added to it ?
Aloha

Dan D
HPP

HPP