Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
motor vehicle inspections
Senator Russell Ruderman

"TESTIMONY NEEDED...
My bill to change motor vehicle inspections from 1 to 2 years is scheduled for a hearing Wednesday, and needs your testimony in SUPPORT.

SB2476 - RELATING TO MOTOR VEHICLE INSPECTIONS requires a two-year motor vehicle inspection safety check for vehicles ten years of age or newer. Doubles the inspection fee for the two-year motor vehicle inspection safety check.

To read the full text of the measure and submit testimony, use the link below:"

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_indiv.aspx?billtype=SB&billnumber=2476&year=2018

Here is my comment :

The inspection needs to be eliminated !

As written, it is impossible to inspect a car in less than an hour.There is no evidence that not having a state inspection leads to more accidents. Hawaii is one of 11 states that have a yearly inspection .Why don't those other states have horrible accident rates from equipment failure ?
Shouldn't that be "10 years of age and older"? I would think that the newer cars would be exempt.
No doubt the idea is that older cars are more likely to have worn out components and need repairs, hence no exemption from the yearly inspection. I don't like the inspection at all though, so thanks Obie for your input. The only benefit I see is that it keeps more uninsured motorists off the road. That problem could be avoided in other ways though such as pay at the pump insurance.
keeps more uninsured motorists off the road

Most other states check your insurance at DMV renewal time, and they have "fix-it tickets" for minor mechanical issues like a broken headlight.

The insurance industry supports electronic notification to DMV for people with a "probationary" license. Making this a requirement solves the "getting insurance just long enough to pass safety check" problem.

(Note, again, that I'm assuming "problem to be solved", which is not how things are done in Hawaii.)
"Doubles the inspection fee for the two-year motor vehicle inspection safety check."

Why? (I mean logically, not the obvious gouge)
The only benefit I see is that it keeps more uninsured motorists off the road.
--------
In theory, yes. In actual practice, no.
People simply get insurance, paying on a monthly plan, get the ID card in the mail and cancel the insurance. During that month they at least partially had coverage, they get the vehicle inspected and registered.
Follow Ruderman's link and leave testimony, the hearing is tomorrow.
You have to “sign in” to leave testimony.....
I have to remember too many passwords as it is.

So.......no.....
Puna: Our roosters crow first
This is the only way to try to change things.