Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lightning Rods
quote:
Originally posted by sistersue

Maybe you should study what the people in Florida do about lightning. I think that's the "lightning capitol" of the USA?

Unless it's also "house burning to the ground due to lightning strike" capitol of the USA.
Hmm I thought, just stuck in rock would work, especially if the rock is wet.
Seeb's post: "I have seen flag pole lighting rod setups that reportedly work- they are supposed to protect a 45 degree cone down from the top of the pole. They need an actual ground tho not just stuck in a rock"

So Seeb, there needs to be a copper cable attached to the pole and the other end attaches to a metal stake that's buried in damp clay-like earth? I thought the pole would be grounded because its cemented into the ground?
There is a way to measure the resistance of ground rods. Whatever your set-up, measure the resistance to ground. As to what is good enough, I'm not sure. I think a ground rod is supposed to be 25 ohms but that may just be for electrical service.

What is probably most important is making sure the ground is lots better than the house ground. As already pointed out, if it is equally good then half the current will go through the lightning protection system and half through the house.

What about a dozen galvanized fence posts drilled 1' each into the pahoehoe? Would they make up in quantity what each lacked in depth/contact with wet soil? Would being part of a fence be good or bad? For a lightning protection system you would theoretically welcome its exposure to possible lightning as that is what the game is all about. If used for a house ground, would the risk of the fence being struck by lightning be a significant liability?