Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magic Chef Refrigerator
Anyone else have a magic chef ref from home Depot that doesn't keep up with defrosting the freezer? I have to take the whole thing apart and de-ice it every month. If I don't it clogs everything up and the fan makes a lot of noise laboriously trying to push air through the shrinking passage.
Don't have one but I bet the fan is plastic and 'stripping' out on it's axle.

Fan cannot blow air fast enuf, ice builds up, fan cannot spin due to ice build up, motor spins axle causing noise and faster wear on plastic fan.

Hence the noise and build up .,,

They owe you a new one.

RWR comment makes sense. My parents have a dryer where the fan got loose on the shaft. It would sorta still work so you didn't automatically go looking for the problem. It just didn't work well. Actually even that was hard to see cause if you left the clothes in long enough they got dry.

Because of the looseness on the shaft the fan would intermittently rattle, particularly at start and shut down. I would follow up on that line of investigation.
A lot Magic Chef brand Fridges don’t actually have defrost. It’s cheaper for them to make like that, and it also uses less power. Better for people off grid, but not so great for moisture build up in the tropics!
I suggest checking the Defrost Thermostat, can be located from parts diagram...easy fix if faulty
Many fridges struggle in Hawaii, they're often built with the mainland in mind and can't handle the moisture here. Someone even told me many are designed to work optimally in air conditioned spaces.
If it's still under warranty that would be my first call.
How full is your Refrigerator ?

They rely on airflow to cool. If your fridge is too full it can't cool properly and the compressor will run too much and the evaporator fan can't transfer the cold air into the box.

The humid air will freeze on the evaporator coils and interfere with the fan .