Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
United temporarily suspends Pet transport in CARGO
I was about to book space with United Petsafe for our dogs to travel from LAX to Kona, since Kona has a direct release program. I discovered that United temporarily suspended the Petsafe program until they can review the issues that have been occuring. The notice says that they expect to have the results of their investigation by May 1, but they give no date for the service to begin again. I was able to find space on Alaska Air, who by the way is not taking any cargo pet reservations for a week beginning April 25 due to the merger with Virgin America.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/tra...tsafe.html

We used United Petsafe to travel from Hilo to LAX a few years ago with our pets. The ticket agent staff in HIlo who checked in our dogs were outstanding. One of the baggage handlers even went to check on the dogs to make sure they were okay and in the hold, and then she came to our seats to tell us they were fine and sleeping. When we arrived in LAX we went to a special Petsafe terminal and claimed our dogs. They had free parking in front and a grass area for the dogs to use. It's too bad they are having so many issues but now I don't know what many people are going to do. I certainly would not want to travel on a separate flight from my pets if they are too big for the cabin. Although an alternative is Aloha Air Cargo.

Robert
It was cheaper and less stress to our dog to have her shipped to Hilo via HNL (from mainland) using Island Pet Movers. They have a negotiated rate with the airlines. And experience.

We did this after shipping 7 parrots ourselves (not using a pet relocation service). Never again.

ETA: (from mainland)
I met some tourists who brought their dog to Hawaii on holiday! I never knew.
If the tourists are from one of the other rabies-free areas they have an expedited process.