Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your best Texas style BBQ place?
I've tried a couple around this area, but I haven't been happy with meat quality and/or flavor. What's your favorite place/truck on the island for BBQ?
The Cookhouse near the Waipio lookout. Best ribs I've ever had and often great music on Saturdays. Killer fish sandwiches and fabulous fries too.
Where have you tried please Eric ? What did you order ?

Were they using local meats ?

just wondering and mahalo
Used to go to Fish and Hog in Waimea. Unfortunately, it just got too expensive. I think it’s geared to collecting tourist dollars now.
The food was always good though.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
The best one I've found is the Texas Island BBQ truck and their brisket. Bri’s Big Island Barbecue in Honomu was ok. I haven't tried Fish & Hog though or Cookhouse.
I'll second the Waipio Cookhouse. Had a brisket sandwich and it was fantastic, better than I've been able to manage on my smoker. Next time I'm going for the ribs.
While it is not purely a BBQ joint, MAONA lunch counter in the Shipman park offers BBQ at least one day a week. I stopped by there recently and had some of the best brisket I've ever had in my life! (I've been to Texas -- Dallas was King for brisket).