Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New category needed for Punatalk? Issues
I might be presumptuous here, but what the heck.

When I came to Punatalk a year ago there was 1/3 the number of posts there are now. It was one reason I submitted big commentaries, probably to the annoyance of more than a few readers. (My habit is largely abated.)

Having noticed a steady increase in non-issue posts for months, I was going to suggest that these posts be spun off into a separate category: Examples: Best cement. How to build fences. Bulk cables. Engine repair. Etc. Maybe call the category "Help."

I'm now thinking it is more logical to simply spin off "Issues," e.g.: Farmers market tarps, TMT, teacher salaries, helicopter noise, best law for local officials. Etc.

Problem with too many posts is that it pushes high-interest issues off the page where they get neglected because readers:

1) Don't want to bother to go to p. 2 to retrieve them, or

2) Forget about them (I grant this is argument to assert Well, they're not high interest then.)
MarkD, I see where you're coming from, but Punaweb already has an underused political forum where a lot of these issues could be discussed, but aren't. I think a lot of people, myself included, just post on the main forum as a default without looking for a more specific venue.
quote:
Originally posted by MarkD

Problem with too many posts is that it pushes high-interest issues off the page....I grant this is argument to assert Well, they're not high interest then.)[/i])

I think you nailed it. Wink

Cheers,
Kirt
I was going to suggest that these posts be spun off into a separate category

Most topics could already fit into one of the other forums, for instance:

Best cement. How to build fences. Bulk cables.
Could be listed in Building In Puna

Engine repair. Etc. Maybe call the category "Help."
Might post in Free Non Classifieds:
"Place any ad for things wanted (such as help?), for sale..."

Then there's Politics, which depending on the context and breadth of scope could fit equally well in Punatalk or Politics.

I think most people automatically gravitate to Punatalk and don't always check the other forums on a regular basis. Even with an additional category, that might still be the case, out of habit, if for no other reason.

Idiots rule the world, but only when there is a fair vote. - Last Aphorisms
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
The main category gets all the traffic. If I have a catchment tank question I will get more responses putting it in the main forum versus in the building category. This forum software lacks a lot of the customization features newer ones have about subscribing to threads etc, I actually appreciate the simplicity of it. But the real solution to this issue is a major overhaul/upgrade of the forum software itself but doing so will make it completely different in appearance, function, and feel. Think of it like a type of gentrification. This snitz software is a bit behind the times, just like Puna itself. It seems oddly appropriate.
Nice house you have here, but I think you should move this bathroom over there.
Agree with PaulW

I think the standard response is 'If you think you can do better, go right ahead'.
I like PW funky.
If it ain’t broken....
Well I don't know about all that...

But a 'like' button - now that's an idea I could get behind!!