Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Much more homelessness, high rents on horizon?
Certainly seems so for East Hawaii, given this disaster, which looks to get worse, displacing even more people.

Months ago we rented our main residence with a long-term lease. We are renting month-to-month elsewhere (a smaller dwelling to save money).

Sure hope our landlord does not give us notice to move. But with all that is occurring, we have to consider ourselves among the fortunate.....
with all that is occurring, we have to consider ourselves among the fortunate.....

Yes.
I believe Rick said something similar in the film Casablanca:
"... it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people* don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world."

* who currently live outside of the East Rift Zone

Portion of Hawaii’s drinking water that comes from underground wells : 9/10
Gallons of raw sewage that leak into the ground from Hawaii cesspools each day : 53,000,000 - Harper's Index
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I suspect that a fair number of the part-timers will simply sell and move on elsewhere. I also suspect that a number of people that had called themselves residents, will move back to the mainland as well, leaving many born-here folks, wondering what they should do as well. Seems gypsy69 may have been smarter than some gave him credit for.
It's already happening. Somebody in Fern Acres is advertising a 0-bedroom shack for $1000/month. Sadly, they will probably get it.