Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Me oh my, we have bees.....
BUZZ BUZZ

I just noticed a swarm of bees going in and out from underneath my post and pier house this afternoon, how do you know if they are honeybees? -they don't really strike pose for you. They have some yellow on them but are not wasps or bumbles, and who do you call to come get them if they are honeybeess? If it was anywhere else I'd just leave them but with my little ones I don't want them to get stung. ...Or myself!!

Now the bees are gone?!? After some research I guess they were just looking for a home and decided to go elsewhere....(probably my attic!)What a relief, and I'm glad to get an education about our bee friends! I had no idea that by spraying them or an old hive that they would spread it to other hives, no wonder they are in peril. It just goes to show how delicate a balance there is , and that everything we do affects someone or something. That butterfly thing.
Will wonders never cease?!? The bees are gone. I would be suspicious about them making a hive up in the attic (still haven't gotten the ladder out to poke my head up there), but there is absolutely no activity around the eaves of the house at all - no goings or comings..... So I guess they were just checking us out.

We do lately feel like we are finally being assimilated into this land here - after all the months of construction and activity, we now have relative quiet (except for our resident i'o hawk who is quite noisy - apparently they are noisier when nesting), and we have lots of birds (including those gaudy red cardinals) at the bird feeder, and we just had two fighting green geckos on our lanai yesterday - it was hilarious! Got quite a few photos that we'll post on our new website www.moonoverhawaii2.blogspot.com along with some photos of David's sightings of mother and baby whales breaching, and a visiting gold dust day gecko to our lanai, and also David's photos of the recent lava flow (before the access was officially opened).... Our plants are thriving (for the most part), the rains have returned (up here in Mountain View where we usually have lots and lots of rain, I was happy to note that we had 0.3" of rain overnight!!! YEA!!), the lehua blossoms are brilliantly red, and life is good. Lucky to live Hawai'i...

I, too, have noticed a few bumblebees lately - such chubby and slow buzzers, but quite welcome... And I am glad the honeybees (yes, that's what they were, definitely) have decided to forego building a hive here....

Buzzzz....
Katie

Wherever you go, there you are.
Wherever you go, there you are.
The big black bee looks just like the Carpenter Bee. In my opinion a very ugly looking guy. Does anyone know if they are a threat to trees and/or seedlings?