Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ton of tourists at Mahana Bay today.
Never seen so many tourists here in Ka'u except at Punalu'u Bakery. Beach was crowded, people constantly walking and driving back and forth on the paths over there. Great day for the beach too, sunny and not too hot, water was warm, about 80, and that strange light-blue color that almost looks like koolaid.

Aloha Smile
Aloha Smile
that strange light-blue color

As the sun gets higher in the sky during the summer months (see Lahaina Noon*), it’s rays enter the water from almost directly overhead, not at an angle as in the winter months. This gives the ocean more of a pastel color, especially between late May & late July. If you ever go to a white sand beach closer to the equator it’s even more pronounced.

* Lahaina Noon is a tropical solar phenomenon when the Sun culminates at the zenith at solar noon, passing directly overhead (above the subsolar point).

I alternate between thinking of the planet as home — dear and familiar stone hearth and garden — and as a hard land of exile in which we are all sojourners. Today I favor the latter view. The word “sojourner”... invokes a nomadic people’s sense of vagrancy, a praying people’s knowledge of estrangement, a thinking people’s intuition of sharp loss: “For we are strangers before thee, and sojourners, as were all our fathers: our days on the earth are as a shadow, and there is none abiding.” - Annie Dillard
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

Lahaina Noon*

I really adore learning stuff like this about Hawai'i, I love these arcane facts, mahalo, HOPTE!!

Aloha Smile
Aloha Smile