Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Mystery of Mauna Kia
Lately I've taken to doing my weekly bicycle ride down Beach Road, as it is all paved south of Kahaki now, and with a speed limit of only 15 MPH, it offers safe and scenic exercise.

As I approach Pakaka road, a mystery comes into view immediately mauka of Beach Road. There is an abandoned, looted vehicle with the words "KAPU" and "NO TRESPASSING" spray painted repeatedly all over it. This is not terribly unusual; all manner of abandoned items can be found along Beach Road. However, next to the "kapu car" is a 20-foot tall pile of crushed vehicles, consisting of the mashed remains of many cars.

There appears to be no house on said property, or any other structures. There is, however, a lawn chair which, until lately had been occupied by a large, friendly, shaka-waving man.

Many questions arise.

1. How? How did so many crushed cars get there?
2. Why? Why would anyone go to such effort?
3. When? Has this always been there and I never noticed before? Maybe the evacuation route improvement cleared some brush and revealed this wonder?
4. What? Is the car kapu? Are all the cars kapu? Is the property kapu? Is this what happens to vehicles that violate the kapu?
5. Who? Who was the smiling shaka-shaking man? I should have stopped and asked him about this creation while I had the chance. However, my instincts suggested that perhaps I should just return the shaka and keep peddling.
Many years ago, we used to have a very authoritarian chief engineer at work. In those days we still had visiting observers drive up and down the old Saddle Road and despite all the safety briefings they received, would occasionally drive back down to sea level before they were properly rested. One or two ended up wrecking our vehicles.

After the wrecks were brought back down, the chief made it a point to leave the twisted metal right outside the building where we could all see it. He said it would act as a deterrent.

I vote for "Is this what happens to vehicles that violate the kapu?" and perhaps the shaka-waving guy is our ex-chief engineer.

Lot was recently purchased and new owner on ripping found old abandoned cars and rather than removing them decided to create a hillbilly monument for us all to enjoy in this pristine area. A neighbor talked to the fearful watcher who then showed him he was armed with a concealed weapon.

Oh boo hoo, your "pristine" area. No HOA means private property rights rule! Besides, he's still cleaning up - try wait.
private property rights rule!

Some people refuse to be potty trained.
Even as adults they claim the right to s**t all over everything, whenever they want, wherever they go.
(referring to the previous owner of the property, who was responsible for leaving a big dump, of abandoned cars, in the forest)

At a White House meeting in June, President Trump reportedly told Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe that “I remember Pearl Harbor.”
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I know of several people first-hand who are stockpiling junk cars waiting for the scrap metal prices to go back up. Not everyone invests in the blue chips...
Mystery solved, mahalo to all. I'm familiar with keeping cars in the backyard for parts/scrap, just didn't realize that somebody used to actually live there, as there was no house, or foundation, or driveway...just a pile of cars. Didn't mean sound judgmental, just couldn't figure it out. Thanks again!
Went by there a few hours ago, the smiling shaka-shaking man was there. Also was told at the roadblock that they would be gone in a few days!
Mystery SOLVED! good job gang! *Scooby doo credit music plays*

Aloha Smile
Aloha Smile