Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
plumber or contractor?
I have a leak in the tub/shower in my main bathroom. Not standing water on the floor, but the drywall shows signs of a leak. Areas that look like bubbles in the drywall around the shower surround. Looks like for access, either the whole shower/tub assembly would have to come out, or the drywall in a closet. If that drywall was cut away from inside that closet, the source of the leak. Should I contact a contractor, since drywall work will have to be done, or a plumber? Don't think a plumber would do drywall.
Any suggestions on who I could contact for an estimate? Thanks for any comments and suggestions.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
size=2)Seems like a job for a competent handyman. Since this would merely be a repair I don't think you need a permit, so a licensed trades person is not mandated.(/size=2)
size=2)Seems like a job for a competent handyman. Since this would merely be a repair I don't think you need a permit, so a licensed trades person is not mandated.(/size=2)
If your closet wall backs onto the shower plumbing an access panel should have been installed by any competent builder so you can service that plumbing. Competent builders being the exception however....

So as you address the leak try to end up with an access panel in that location.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I had drywall water damage on the bedroom wall that is shared on the other side with the bathroom (tub/and shower). Turned out that it was caused by the air vent pipe going through the roof right above. The material that they used to seal around the pipe on the roof wore out and every time it rained...water drained down inside the wall causing the sheet rock to bubble and become soft.
Don't hire anyone named Eddie.