Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rezoning
Has anyone else gotten a notice that their property is being rezoned from Ag to Residential? In HPP

Tax rate on Ag is $9.35. Residential rate is $11.10.

Great.
rezoned from Ag to Residential

Could be a good thing if your vision of HPP is a residential community. Ag zoning allows for all sorts of stuff that's not really conducive to residential living. But then if what you want is your own little barnyard kind of scene it'll definitive crimp your style.

Not a "rezoning", merely a "change of tax class" for Ag-zoned lots under 1 acre with no other dedication (actual ag, conservation, homeowner exemption, etc).

It's very clever: County can truthfully claim that property tax rates were not increased.

I'm hoping someone files suit to force the zoning to match; R zoning is obviously worth more.
http://www.hawaiipropertytax.com/docs/CH...EB-19).pdf

This change is for tax purposes only and does not affect the zoning and permissible uses of the property under State and County law.
Chas, I would look very carefully at your letter, is it from Planning, with a change in your land-use zoning, or as Kalakoa suggests, is it from the tax division...
Land use planning actually is more important to consider, as this will be where the county code restriction on land use would come into effect... & would need a public information petition to change

If it is from the tax division, you can get homeowners exemption that halves the rate, if using as a residential lot (have a house you are residing in).

Since it seems both need some sort of petition (land use zoning is harder to change), I wonder who did the petition to change your designation? Were you ever informed, prior to the change, that your land would be considered for a designation change?
land use zoning is harder to change

County can't upzone Ag to R unless State first upzones from Ag to Urban.

I know I've said it many times, but: this fake zoning is a real drain on our economy.
Thanks Kalakoa and Carey. I knew I could count on you to sort it out for me. Yes it’s a tax class change.

We’ve owned the lot for many years but recently applied for a building permit. Maybe that’s why it was “necessary to reflect the highest and best use of your property”

Carey, I’m guessing it was the building or planning dept. that “petitioned” for the change? And no, this is the first we knew about it. Thank you for pointing out the exemption.

Gee, now if we can just get the building permit and build the house before the new tax goes into effect... already been waiting almost 3 months. I guess some county departments are more efficient than others.
So I assume if areas are being rezoned residential.. the county will be stepping up and installing sewer lines, water lines, curbside garbage service, etc etc.. oh wait prolly not.
https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/201...than-1-3m/

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2019/0...discussed/

There are properties under one acre of land that have been receiving the agricultural class tax rate when the highest and best use is residential. Three meetings were held regarding discussion of what would be the most fair and equitable way to tax these parcels as the underlying zoning is agricultural which included reviewing properties up to five acres in size. The recommendation to Real Property Tax Division is all properties less than one acre in size which are not part of an agricultural use or dedicated agricultural programs should be taxed at the residential class tax rate to be consistent with the county code island wide. This is consistent with State Land Use Commission statutes which provide for the construction of single-family dwellings on lots existing before June 4, 1976.

There are currently 19,604 parcels which will experience a tax class rate change. 6,665 will experience an increase in taxes with the remaining parcels not anticipated to be impacted by the recommendation. The impact to the real property tax revenue in tax year 2019 based on the current assessed values and tax rates would be an estimated $ 1.3 million increase.

County going to pave the roads on Kaloli Point, and all the other subdivisions with sub-acre lots?
Puna: Our roosters crow first