Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pahoa Farm store on 130 - SUP
Alternately, a "peddlers mall" or "flea market" would probably fit pretty well in/near our subdivisions.

We have one, but it costs $2.00 to get in and is only open one day a week.
"PCDP doesn't suggest many new "village centers", mostly only those which already exist, along with some completely unrealistic locations that will never be allowed... "

Not true.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Please explain Rob. What part is not true. Not snide, just unaware of the reference.

I'm for economic development of Puna. The Feed 'N Fert deserves a great, convenient location. I'm with you Kalakoa - a 2 hour minimum round trip for livestock supplies is not practical.

And we're an agriculturally zoned area, for the most part... must we be forced into Hilo for ever more? Puna can and will survive but some good decisions need to be made now.
I chaired the Land Use Working Group of the PCDP. Input was gathered from a few thousand participants through out Puna. There were three levels of proposed commercial zones. Neighborhood centers, village centers and regional centers. Each major subdivision selected it's own preferred neighborhood center area. Village and Regional Centers were defined around existing locations for simple reasons.... they were already there.

The PCDP was no magic wand to make a neighborhood cafe spring into existence. It was just a roadmap. The PCDP itself is unable to overcome the incompetence and corruption of our county government. Only voters can do that.]

I have been surprised over the years that the accumulated wealth and brain power of HPP is incapable of doing anything. You would think the 2nd largest subdivision in the U.S. would be capable of establishing some services in the course of a decade. But instead of fighting the county they fight each other... and that's the way it's been.

The lack of performance is not the fault of the Puna Community Development Plan. It is the fault of the residents of Puna.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
The new American mentality is that the government must make laws to allow an action rather than prohibit it. If you want to do something it is assumed to be against the law until action is taken to allow it.

Permission often comes with such expensive and onerous conditions as to make it unfeasible.

Across from Woodland Center the owner got a zoning change to do a repair shop or similar. His change required $100+ K in improvements, like sidewalks, etc. He gave up!

We keep hearing about "Helicopter Parents" who must manage everything their children do, Hawaii has "Helicopter Government".
In my adult lifetime I've witnessed society pivot it's thinking from "we have laws to protect us from excessive government" to "we need government to protect us, and more excessive laws".
Ultimately, the County (and possibly State, if a land-use-boundary adjustment is required) would have to create/allow any of these uses. All we have is this shiny 10-year-old planning document.

PCDP "final draft" 3/21/2008 page 3-6, figure 3-2 "Proposed Town and Village Center Locations".

Volcano, Glenwood, Mountain View, Kurtistown, Keaau, Orchidland Estates, Pahoa, Hawaiian Beaches/Shores: these all already exist.

Three locations are identified in HPP. Detail map on page 5-10 includes possible school, neighborhood center ... all proposed uses are on the 20-acre parcels that currently cannot be developed.

"Future Location Subject to Community Review":

Ainaloa, page 5-14. Right in the middle of dense "residential" area, inadequate access.

Nanavale, page 5-16. A large parcel was left open for this purpose, but still inadequate access.

Kaimu, no additional details.

Leilani, Kapoho ... might actually be more possible than the rest.

Note the Pahoa diagram on page 5-9.